Thread: How to do this?

Default How to do this?

After ages of scouring the net for the right style for my main map I found an epic map in one of the most obvious of places, wikapedia. This is a huge well detailed map of the topography and some climate variation of china and parts of other countries of asia. I want to do something like this for the full sized map of the Dal Lands but have no idea as how to do it. Does anyone know of any technique in photoshop or other program that could be used to replicate this style or something similiar to it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The image below was taken from the following site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ch...y_full_res.jpg

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	China_topography_full_res.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.72 MB 
ID:	28660  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Check out Tom Patterson's shaded relief website...it has a number of tutorials on this style, but using real world DEM data. You could use Fractal Terrains or Wilbur to generate fantasy data though.

That map style is my favourite, but I have never considered putting a lot of effort into making one like that. Since I've had so many setbacks on other works since my computer died, it might be worth trying it out. I've used Wilbur before, and it does a really good job, so it might not be that impossible.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps