Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The City State, Sol. WIP, C&C welcome....

Wip The City State, Sol. WIP, C&C welcome....

Hi guys\guysettes.

Thought I`d get some feedback (and much needed help) on a map I`m working on.

I`m trying to get it to look something like Rythals fantastic Celinir and Lerokil maps.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=28333
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=27993

This far I`ve experimented with really bright colors, and then put two layers, on top of it all,
    of an ancient paper with blending: Hue on top, and Linear burn underneath that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SOL CITY STATE.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	28765  
    Last edited by sigurdbjohansson; 09-06-2010 at 11:01 AM.
    -Sigurd Sigurd Brutus Motor-

Well, I do like the colours And the texture

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Some of the nicest coloring I've seen so far; very nice there. I think that the look you're going for will never be quite the same since his maps were of a much larger scale than yours...his was a continent and yours is a city. I think that this map is done really cuz if you start adding things like roads and houses then you'll lose the effect. You may be able to redo the whole thing much larger so that you don't lose the colors and you'll be able to cram more info in.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Yah, I'd say it looks great. The only thing that I'd do is maybe add a thicker border around the edge of the city to show city limits. In some places its a bit thin, particularly around Burl

Thank you, thank you! "blush"

Only thing I`m going to add is some diffuse mountains and forests around the city limits. And PERHAPS tone down the extra dark colors. I sort of think they steal too much attention..
    And of course the thicker border you mentioned, Rythal.
    Any suggestions on water??

for the style, I think the colour and texture of the water (and land and city) fits perfectly. Mayhaps make the coast a bit smoother/ thinner, if possible, to simulate an ink pen, but the colour themselves I think are good

Wip Wip 2

Did some color changes, made the whole thing a lot darker, added texture and a frame.. did I ruin it??
    First I tried to lighten the darker areas, but found that if I made the text white w/ black outline, I could get a more "fantasy" feel with even darker colors on the whole map...

Name:	SOL CITY STATE.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	28936  

Wow, the colors and textures look really great! Hey, I just had a thought that you could enter a NYC version of this for the super challenge, I definitively vote for you if you do.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

I'm liking it. The trees in the city seem a bit out of place though; the ones in the country fit pretty well though. I dont think the city trees are necessary personally, but other than that, it looks really good

Wip Sketches...

Thought I`d show you the first sketches... Don`t have a scanner, so I photograph my sketches and fix them in PS.

And don`t mind the names on the sketches, I was reading Cerebus AND Poison Elves at the time of making.

Rythal... The areas are really districts, the city being mostly central sol, which by the way will be another map (see borough sketch).

Gallifreyan... Nice idea, but I`ve already got something cooked up (at least I`ll try) for the september challenge

Name:	DSC_0064.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	28939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0063.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	28940  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast