View Poll Results: Which is the superior software?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Campaign Cartographer 3

1 33.33%
  • Photoshop 2016

2 66.67%

Thread: Photoshop or Campaign Cartographer: Which one?

Guild Novice

Question Photoshop or Campaign Cartographer: Which one?

Assuming I can only purchase one, which is the superior mapmaking software? I need something that will be all-purpose (continent, kingdom, and province scales), intuitive to use (not necessarily easy, but not buggy and ridiculously difficult), and (assuming the learning curve is complete) will allow me to complete a map in a fairly streamlined manner. In general, which do you feel is the best?

If you're looking at an image editor at all like Photoshop. Try GIMP it's free to use Open Source software - it won't cost you anything at all. Learn to use it. There is a learning curve as with any software.

That said, I don't use either Photoshop or Campaign Cartographer. I prefer using a vector drawing application, Xara Designer Pro x11, but I use that software for a lot more things than just mapping.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

What you need in the way of tools depends on the job that you're trying to do and what skills that you're trying to apply. If you have some drawing ability, then a general-purpose image editing and creation tool like Photoshop (or The GIMP or Krita or any number of image editors) will do what you want, but there won't be much in the way of hand-holding to specifically do maps. Similarly, a general-purpose vector-based general program such as Illustrator (or Inkscape or Xara or any number of editors, including online SVG editors) will also do what you want, but again without any significant map-making tools. With these tools, the skills and practice that you bring to the table will entirely dictate what you get out of the experience.

There are also more map-focused packages such as Campaign Cartographer (and Fractal Mapper and any number of even more focused packages). Campaign Cartographer is a CAD engine that has been repurposed to provide mapping functionality. It also has many style packs in the form of its annuals and huge numbers of symbols via its symbol packs. Some folks find the learning curve steep, but there are many video tutorials and training materials available.

Ultimately, what you get will depend in large amount on the kind of things you want to produce, the kind of skills you currently have, how much time you are willing to invest, and how much you want map-specific elements available for your workflow.

Asking which package is superior is a lot like asking which is superior: trucks or trains. Each has different strengths and weaknesses, but both are good at the job of moving cargo. Used together, they can accomplish things that neither could do as well alone.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Well if your Asking which one is a Superior Map Making program....
    Campaign Cartographer because that is and what it always has been.....
    Photoshop has always been a Graphic Designer.
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

If you have some drawing skills and are expecting to make your maps from scratch, go with Photoshop (or GIMP)!! I believe they can produce superior results, though I have't used Campaign Cartographer but I've seen many maps on these forums. I use an older version of photoshop and I love it! I find that most of the stunning maps on these forums are made with Photoshop, GIMP or a program like that.
    I would say start out with this tutorial if you're planning to use GIMP or Photoshop (it is also how I started out): http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2015/02/how-to-draw-a-map/

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Maybe you would be wise to set aside some time and spend it having a really good look at all the maps on the first two or three pages of the Finished Maps section to get a feel for what's possible with different pieces of software, and then get hold of a trial version of anything you might be interested in and have a play - see how comfortable you feel with each app before making a definite decision. That's what I did. Its a bit like trying on shoes, really. Some pairs are nearly right, some are definitely wrong, and then there's the pair that's perfect - even though you would never have thought it just to look at them on the shelf

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

I usually work with Photoshop only, but like others pointed out it is more of an all-purpose image creation and drawing tool than an actual cartography software. You'll have to do everything yourself, from the texture to the linework to colouring and shading, and all the way to the labeling.

Learning curve might be steep at points, but just playing with it in the beginning was (at least for me) very satisfying: finally a tool where I had EVERYTHING in hand! I actually started with the GIMP by the way, which is an entirely free alternative, and only switched to Photoshop once I managed to convince myself that I was nearing a level where the benefits outweighed the cost (I'm usually a firm believer of the open source movement, but Photoshop just has some features most of the open source alternatives seem to lack).

Keep in mind that with everything you try to master, you run into a strongly fluctuating perceived level of skill. Which can sometimes lead you to think you're far better than you actually are, followed by periods where you think you're just a blundering idiot. If you ever get to that second point, keep this little graph in mind. It was made with photography skill in mind, but I find it works for every type of skill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photographyskillz.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	89617

I currently feel like I'm climbing out of the Jon Snow Trough by the way, but the nearest peak is still a loooong way up
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 11-22-2016 at 02:47 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Novice

CC3+ has a learning curve (which I haven't been able to climb very high up on,) but from the maps I've seen made by it, if you can get all the sets to it, CC3+ is the better choice. It's designed specifically for campaign map making and has a lot of things available in it that the other program you mentioned doesn't.