Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mistique

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ok, I think I quit now. This is a masterpiece.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Djekspek View Post
    thanks guys! with "texture stitching" I mean, uh.. ok i'll try to explain. I pick a texture-picture that i like Basically any grunge, nature or whatever texture could be usefull. For personal-use-license there are many around the web. Then i desaturate it and feather the edges with a soft-brush eraser. Then I scale/warp/rotate it to fit the part of the map I want it. I then use that texture in an overlay-layer on my map (as a bump-map so to speak). I then rinse and repeat (with overlapping parts for smooth terrain transitions) untill I get something I like. cheers!
    Ok, that's something I've been doing a bit lately only I've been creating the texture with clouds or plasma, whatever, desaturated and used. I guess I should have shared that wip I did sort of run into a snag on mine though so for what it's worth it did not come out anything like yours
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

That is indeed really impressive. Love the mood, love the scary aspect, love ... what? You did this in just 1 hour or so? Well I guess it's what makes the difference between pros and newbies like me ...
    Great stuff!

Wow, I like this a lot! I agree with everybody saying this has some mood to it. I think you could add more atmosphere to the mode by some sort of perspective booster, like clouds to look through or a grungy old wooden frame, you know to give it a sense of place. I really dig how you integrated the compass rose into the map. I don't get the sense that they are actually pointing north, but the thought of hiding the compass in the map had never occurred to me. I'm learning so much from this thread!
    I might try your blurred texture fitting technique, but I notice it lacks the definition needed for mountain peaks or cliffs. But, you know, one more tech for the toolbox!

Sweet baby Jesus
    Simply awesome work!
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome coastlines. But to be honest I find the map to be too dark. In addition, the lettering in the north and SW are kinda hard to read. :-(

thanks guys. Dain, I didn't make this one in 1 hour, only the landmass textures were done in one hour (the complete map took about 4-6 hours I think). Mearrin, I may extend the tutorial I am working with this technique (oh yeah... need to work on that as well .. WTB more time . And bartmoss, you're absolutely right about the labels (my poor excuse: didn't have the patience to work on them as I was focusing on texture-use for this one cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12