Thread: Flognun Mala

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Flognun Mala

I'm posting this up as finished. The WIP thread is here. Thanks for all the comment there!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flognun_mala.jpg 
Views:	1087 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	28813

This map started as a photo of a wall with peeling paint, hence the final name of the map. "flognun mala" (or more correctly "flögnun mála") is what google tells me the phrase "peeling paint" is in Icelandic. I just kept trying languages on that phrase until I got an interesting one! I removed the accents as I hadn;t used any elsewhere in the names.

The raw photo was auto-traced using inkscape to get a good vector based shape. I moved these around to get a better composition then exported the paths to gimp.

The textures are all large genetica viewer textures flood filled on layers and exposed by painting on the masks.

City icons, labeling, border, rose, map lines and legend were all done in inkscape then brought into gimp as layers and texture, bevels, shadows applied. The mountains were done imn gimp using a combination of angular gradient fills followed by blurring and the cubism filter, with shadows and highlights hand painted in after.

I'm pretty happy with the result of this experiment and would be willing to make this map available without labels on request.

-Rob A>