Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: *** September-October Super Challenge: Mapping the Big Apple ***

Quote Originally Posted by RjBeals View Post
    i'm doing one, just haven't posted yet. Still in the research development phase really.
    After your amazing showing in the challenge, I really can't wait to see what you come up with!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessEnthusiasm View Post
    After your amazing showing in the challenge, I really can't wait to see what you come up with!
    I second that.

As for mine, I'm stuck. I know where I want to go, but I can't figure out how to get there.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

curious about maps for sale - will these maps actually be available for sale from the gallery? It appears so - but for how much? And did any maps from the last showing sell? I'm surely not in this for the money, but if I make a few bucks, it would be nice

I was going to ask about sales figures too, just for the sake of curiosity, but thought it might have not been mentioned intentionally. I was also wondering about how much foot traffic the gallery got for the first show, too.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

We had lots of foot traffic for the first show but only a couple of sales. I have my own ideas why - the pricing was high ($90 for a letter page print, $125 for 11 by 17) and the maos themselves were not of places that peope had a personal connection to. So the question was - why would somebody buy this map to hang on their wall? This time round the prices will be a little lower - around $50-60 for letter, $80 for 11 by 17. These are not fixed now, but will be closer to the time. I have a list of prices from the printer which determines the cost of the raw print on which the profit to artist and gallery is added. This should be helped by the addition of local interest (maps of New York on sale in New York) and the fact that it will be in the holiday shopping season. However I'd definitely not jump on this as a reliable scheme for making a ton of cash - it's an opportunity to get your work in a gallery, and add a fun notch to your CV. I'll be working hard to see that the gallery publicises it well in New York and organise a launch party with wine to get people in and see if we can't sell a few prints.

I'll be in Jersey for the Thanksgiving and hope to make it to the gallery. It's just I only have a few days and tons of family stuff packed in. Thanks for the info torstan.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    This time round the prices will be a little lower - around $50-60 for letter, $80 for 11 by 17. These are not fixed now, but will be closer to the time. I have a list of prices from the printer which determines the cost of the raw print on which the profit to artist and gallery is added. ... However I'd definitely not jump on this as a reliable scheme for making a ton of cash - it's an opportunity to get your work in a gallery, and add a fun notch to your CV. I'll be working hard to see that the gallery publicises it well in New York and organise a launch party with wine to get people in and see if we can't sell a few prints.
    For my part Torstan, consider any profits from my works to be automatic donations to CGs Ongoing Support Fund.
    Just felt it was worth saying.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Wow, we need to have 45 maps and we have not quite half of that right now. Do we need to promote this more or something? I know I have a couple ideas still, one of which I hope to get done. This has been a tough one for me though. Maybe it's because I'm a West coaster and never been overly enamored of NY. Nothing against it really but nothing really for it either. I have been there a couple times and actually spent about 3 weeks in Manhattan for work. The main thing I found there was too many people. The density was just ridiculous. I'm used to wide open spaces where I can swing my elbows and not knock someone's teeth out. So maybe my problem here is in the heart? I guess I don't have art if it's not in my heart. I'm still working on it though and if I can get a finger on my lightning rod I will get fired up and burn a ton of midnight oil.

Still, though, we do need a lot more entries.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had planned to do at least 2 maps, but with my work taking up a lot of time, I'm just hoping to finish the one. I've posted the competiion on facebook, but not many friends of mine maps..
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

you all could ask the admin over at ConquerClub.com to post a headline. There's a lot of beginner carto's over there - it's where I started as well. You may get a few more entries from it.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast