Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: *** September-October Super Challenge: Mapping the Big Apple ***

Blog Entries

Yeah, awesome challenge and what an awesome opportunity. Just got to be in the top 45... maybe I stand a chance now I'd like to program my app but I will put that on hold for a while or at least send some hours into a map. Dunno what the 'eck ill do but count me in.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hmm... I really wanted to do a post-apocalyptic NY, but it looks like that front's already been nailed down. What to do, what to do...

Ah. There's room for more P-A. C'mon. You know you want to. Hmmm...wonder if we're going to disturb the gallery-goers with all this destruction of their city?
    M

Okay, I think that this is a stupid question, but is 2400x3600 px at 100 ppi a good size? I am not exactly sure what dpi is, but doesn't it have to do with the printing resolution?
    Last edited by Gallifreyan; 09-04-2010 at 09:56 PM.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

The minimum for entries is 8.5" x 11" at 150ppi. That works out to 1275 x 1650. If you're above that you're fine. Might as well set your ppi at 150, though, since that's what the contest specifies. That would make your map 16" x 24"...plenty of room to play. Or you could go smaller if you're having performance issues.
    M

Edit: And, don't stress it too much. As long as you've got *more* than you need you can always go down on the output...can't go up though.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Ah. There's room for more P-A. C'mon. You know you want to. Hmmm...wonder if we're going to disturb the gallery-goers with all this destruction of their city?
    M
    Okay, you convinced me.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    I'd love to join in with this but commission commitments and my general lack of pace when it comes to mapping will almost certainly rule me out of it.
    you gotta be in this Ramah so we can show them New York'rs what the guild is made off... just make a small map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

A quick bit of help for everyone. You can download a complete map of New York as it is now using 'Open Street Map' in the following formats: pdf, svg, jpg, png and postscript. You need to be patient though as the server is forever 'busy' , but it can be done. I've done it for London but catching the server when it wasn't busy took ages. Downloading in a vector format is especially useful if you want to do an 'alternate modern' new york theme, but all the heavy lifting will have been done for you in terms of mapping the city. All I would ask is that if anyone does download the data please can you post the file here for others to use as well.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    A quick bit of help for everyone. You can download a complete map of New York as it is now using 'Open Street Map' in the following formats: pdf, svg, jpg, png and postscript. You need to be patient though as the server is forever 'busy' , but it can be done. I've done it for London but catching the server when it wasn't busy took ages. Downloading in a vector format is especially useful if you want to do an 'alternate modern' new york theme, but all the heavy lifting will have been done for you in terms of mapping the city. All I would ask is that if anyone does download the data please can you post the file here for others to use as well.
    )

eh... where?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast