Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Withdrawn] September-October Challenge:Taur Cordof

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Look's like I would have grown up near Yak's Bend!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Aha! So the orcs DO live on the Jersey side. Now, how do you translate "The Situation" into orcish? You'll want to name the leader that. Great looking map...and cool concept.
    M

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Not much in the way of drawing updates, the wife had her own ideas on what I should be doing tonight.

I started placing out some labels and testing fonts and such. I'm going to do a bit of research for translations later, or maybe I'll leave the city names as they are.
    It's hard to decide, but since I decided on Taur Cordof, it's hard to go back now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 copy.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	28914  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Definitely liking the small font. I can't imagine translating Syracuse into Elven? Have to find out what the original word means? Check this out: http://www.sacklunch.net/placenames/S/Syracuse.html. From "syraco" -> "to stink". LOL.
    M

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

looks pretty good... except that you've labeled lake Ontario as lake Erie

i blame sleep dep

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Still working over the shoreline rings.. but now they're in it's starting to look more like a map and less like a scribble

I haven't decided wether to just clean up what I have or redo from scratch. I'm leaning toward the former though.

I'm happy with the number of cities I'm putting in - plus that means less research to translate the original meanings, heh. I took a few liberties with shorelines and smaller islands for the sake of artistic interpretation, but I think the idea still comes acrss well. I had an idea - some of the older maps I've seen have small maps of some of the main cities featured, I figure I can do that in the bottom left and bring the focus of the map back to the challenge.

I also toyed with the idea of using one of the elvish script fonts (Tengwar, etc) but I think I'll stick with the english character font for purposes of the challenge... I'll likely make a second one with the Elvish script for them that might want it, shouldn't be hard at that point

I faded the linework a bit to get a better idea of the direction this will take, i think it's rather nice like this. I might start on a second map so i can distract myself from the tedium of hand drawing all the mountains The most annoying thing right now is being back to work fulltime,... but this is what I *REALLY* want to be doing!

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	85 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	28962  

My finished maps

Wip

I took out the textures for now, they'll be subtle enough over the long run anyhow.. I needed to merge things to a white layer to run a filter I needed for the shorelines and rivers.

I think I'm going to label the text in there first, so i can draw the terrain and forest completely around them. Of course that means I'm going to need to start researching things and then make translations earlier than I expected.

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	135 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	28982  

My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hmmm.. link doesn't work - but the thumb looks great
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

If I remember my geography correctly, the as-yet-unnamed river north of buffalo is actually the Erie Canal/Ellicot Creek.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast