Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Withdrawn] September-October Challenge:Taur Cordof

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Default [Withdrawn] September-October Challenge:Taur Cordof

Holding place while I get things started... if I make the post, I have a better chance of keeping myself going on it.
    I'm thinking a line-drawn map, minimal colour, lots of hand drawn elements showing the lands surrounding the Elven city of Taur Cordof (Big Apple) in a Tolkien-esque style
    I'm also considering something a bit darker - like my DarkLands map style to draw out the city.. but that's for another post!

You wouldn't believe how hard it was to get Big Apple translated into Elvish
    Last edited by torstan; 11-01-2010 at 10:37 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sounds like a great idea... and damn you're all quick in entering, I've barely thought about what to map yet (other than NY) *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wow. An Elvish metropolis? This I gotta see. Please tell me Jersey City is where the orcs live?
    M

Blog Entries

Just a small point - you gotta be careful posting a wip tag like that. If you put just hash hash hash no wip hash hash hash then it tells the scraper not to do one for this thread. I.e. prob better to edit it out when you get around to putting one in !

Eeps! didn't know that, thanks for the info, noted and edited! I'm starting on map tonight!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Just a small point - you gotta be careful posting a wip tag like that. If you put just hash hash hash no wip hash hash hash then it tells the scraper not to do one for this thread. I.e. prob better to edit it out when you get around to putting one in !
    good to know, maybe you should put that in the description of the competition rules... and perhaps you should make the note about the hashhash... tags in the first post in te rules thread instead of the fifth
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Wip

Ok, here goes.
    So I'm not planning on colouring this one, coloured base and guides are skipped
    Grabbed a few brushes so i can scatter/stamp and get the basic layout placed after tracing out shorelines and some major lakes and rivers. Wow, don't my city sketches suck?

Not the final font, but makes a half decent test

Now the fun/hair-tearing part.. drawing in all that lovely detail by hand , deciding on locations to add, deciding on extra details to add (creature notes, paths and roads, that sort of thing).. and then doing elvish-english translations for flavour!
    Rereading the challenge description, I notice that my focus is a bit larger than the original scope (the whole state, not just the city), but I'm planning on referencing the city itself in more detail when I add the cartouche and other embellishments. And anyone familiar with the state (ie anyone who lives near or in) should recognize it at a glance with no difficulty.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 copy.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	28872  

My finished maps

Blog Entries

looking good C - good base colors, I'd lighten the black a little, but you probably will
    regs tilt

you're right on both counts

My finished maps

I can't imagine how hard it will be to translate everything to elven.Good luck for the whole project.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast