Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Withdrawn] September-October Challenge: The Refuge of Neo-York

Default [Withdrawn] September-October Challenge: The Refuge of Neo-York

Going to go ahead and start this up and learn a lot about map making in the process, I hope. Concept is that after the cataclysmic event that toppled the civilization of man the remaining citizens unable or unwilling to leave the four burrows were forced underground into the subway tunnels. This eludes to Brave New World by Jeff Wayne in his musical version of War of the Worlds, link here. (I know this is gonna cause it to be in my head, at least it's kick ass!!) Found this link which is a historical history of the subways through maps. Thinking of making it styled similar to the early blueprints.

Edit: I've revised my style I'm going to use and am going to pull heavily from the battle mapping I do an going to do a pictorial styled underground cut-out of the subway system. The layout will be based on this, going to be based in principal on the difference in elevation of certain train tunnels expressed in the simplicity of the route design. Also looking to implement the water in the form of bathymetry weighing highly on topography of the underwater. Because of this change I've had to increase my resolution high I just hope my PC doesn't drive me insane.

###LATEST WIP###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep-Oct Mapping Challenge - Neo-York - Transparent - Water.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	28897  
    Last edited by torstan; 11-01-2010 at 10:26 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

great concept - love the idea of blueprints
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Cool idea. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. And "The Four Burrows" is just beautiful!
    M

My idea may or may not be feasible for all four burrows due to scaling issues, concept doesn't match size of area and amount of detail I wanted. I have a couple options as it stands pick a burrow in particular and flesh it out which can be a single map or a four part project, do a representation that isn't to scale which means it would need to be cartoon styled to represent a more artistic style. Unsure what to do I'll think this out.

Edit: Decided to center around a point in Brooklyn where the subway system gathers in a nexus which I'm assuming is the main terminal. I'm gonna flesh this out and make it a community, Neo-York?
    Last edited by geamon; 09-04-2010 at 09:55 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

So I've got the layout of the subway routes laid out now. As with one of the images I uploaded you can see the source material laid over my product. Is this considered a breach of copyright? Just don't wanna cross that barrier. I omitted some routes for the subway to prevent it from getting too busy. Am I being too cautious and should add the others? Changed title due nature of map change to a city map for a neighborhood. Also going to have some tunnels dug that connect tunnels to each other as well sub basements that may have survived the apocalyptic event. Am I headed on the right path here? This is all new territory for me so any help would be welcome.
    Cheers, Julien

It looks good to me so far. I can see how it could get too busy (bet the real blueprints of everything under NYC streets would make an engineer go crazy) but I think you could put in a fair amount of detail depending on how you present it. More is sometimes better.

On the source material...as long as you don't actually include it in your finished product I think it's probably okay. I'm basing my map on a tourist map of the city, but I don't plan to actually copy any of it. I believe this is okay but I am not a lawyer so...
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it is very common (at least in Denmark) to draw a map from another map to avoid copyright issues. After all, once the base map is "removed" is pretty hard to see where you got your inspiration from, and it IS your own drawing now. Maybe you went and measured all those lines yourself, or looked at blueprints at city hall or are really good at guessing
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

So I'm not satisfied with my tunnels and their form and just put that frozen and hidden for now and decided to work on another element the water. Two part inquiry one about my style other about accuracy. First the I've been playing around with gradients and such and I came up with my current WIP posting. Seeing as this isn't a fictional location I'm trying to be realistic (doesn't help to have a NY'er as a girlfriend haha) . To that end I wanna use the actual bathymetric contours data for the basin for my map. Anyone know any sources for this kinda GIS information? Tried the USGS to no avail.

Edit: Disregard the contours question, I found their National Map Viewer.

Edit 2: After finding the information I wanted and looking to apply it to my map. I find out that my scale for land mass is too off elements are missing and everything. I'm frustrated and just wanna hit my head against the desk.
    Last edited by geamon; 09-05-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    Cheers, Julien

FYI, you don't need to replace the first map every time...just put your new wip in your latest post and include the tag before it. That way you can leave all of your in-progress images so people can see where you've been. I assume you were replacing the first pic because you didn't know that. If there's some other reason you were doing it then you can just ignore me.
    M

The reason is because I feel I'm a rabid poster and if I kept every update the server would end up full with my WIP's. haha.
    Cheers, Julien

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast