Thread: Laramis in Black and White

Blog Entries

Default Laramis in Black and White

I created the map of Laramis some time ago for my friend and DM-at-large Greg. It is a new world that is connected to the world of Mythgar where my gaming group has been playing (every third year or so) for over twenty years. Laramis is a chance at a fresh start, one uncluttered by the heroic deeds of characters past. It's also the first of Greg's campaigns in Pathfinder, and the first PF campaign since the release of the Advanced Player's Guide. I will be playing a half-orc cavalier, 'cause that's just how I roll.

Here's the original map: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...hlight=laramis

Now the original is cool and I'm happy with how it came out, but it has one big flaw: it doesn't print out well, and is pretty much useless using a black and white printer. I just bought a Brother laser printer for under $100 that prints beautifully, so I've been experimenting.

I made a couple of half-hearted attempts to make some changes that made the map more printer-friendly, but in the end it was futile.

Finally, I decided to spend the time to do it right. I replaced all of the features--mountains, hills, swamps, forests, etc., with symbols, some of which I stole from my Wheel of Time map and some of which I created for this project. Afterward, I printed it out in a huge 4x4 format and taped the pages together to make a wall-sized map that we can mark up.

Here it is with a coffee cup for scale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laramis Big Map.jpg 
Views:	2069 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	28847

And here's the final effort in full-size 3200 pixel format.

Name:	LaramisBW.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	28901
    Last edited by Immolate; 09-05-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Wow. That thing is huge...and pretty. Have some rep!

We need a map like that for our game room...since Paizo doesn't seem to have any plans to make a Golarion map in the near future I guess I'll have to do it someday.

Good luck with your campaign. The APG is awesome but I couldn't quite bring myself to change up from my current Paladin (Iomedae) just yet. For my next character, though, I'm totally digging into that thing.
    M

Why is it always a mug that holds a corner down for a map. Really dig these maps.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Blog Entries

Thanks mearring69. I do hope my silly project inspires others to do some big prints as well. It's funny how good a 3200 pixel map looks when printed out 40" wide. My tape job was abominable but fun, and the map is visually impressive in spite of it's flaws.
    ----------

Blog Entries

That looks lovely, Immolate.

Out of interest, how does your WoT map print out? Look good? Palette and general looks wise it is quite close to my own so it would be interesting to see how they come out printed.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Blog Entries

Ramah... really dark. I would require a proper redo to make it printworthy. I imagine a talented photo editor could do something with it, but my clumsy attempts just made it look odd and unbalanced.
    ----------

I'm going to see pretty soon how one of my maps looks printed out. My mother-in-law has ordered a print of my Haibianr map. Not sure whether she did 14"x16" or 28"x32". I kind of hope it's the larger. So yours is printed out at 80dpi (3200 / 40)? I'd always kind of assumed (but never knew) that you needed a minimum of about 100 to look good in print. That's cool. I can print Haibianr as a *HUGE* poster (52"x63")!
    M

Blog Entries

Yeah I guess you're right. But it looks tight. Judge for yourself. Close-up with a #2 pencil for scale.

Name:	2010-09-05_22-40-16_427.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	28908
    ----------