Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: September-October Challenge: The Battle of Long Island

I don't use Gimp, but the aliased roads could mean that you might need a bigger document size? Could you upscale and blur the roads a bit?

Thanks for the tip ravells! I tried scaling it up 200% then redoing the roads but all that came up was more pixelated pixels.

Next I tried converting the (road) selection to a path then stroked the path, and it worked! There are some parts that need to be cleaned up around the shorelines, so I'll do that now.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BattleOfLongIsland 9-29.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	726.6 KB 
ID:	29799  
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

I removed the coloring of the land because there was a lot of confusion on who was the controlling power, now I think it looks more like it was "made" in the 18th Century. Then I "tightened" up the rings and added some blue around the coast. Some of roads were also changed to be more similar to the roads in in real 18th century maps.

Hills and towns were added too. The black dots are taverns/inns (which I might remove) and the squares are forts for now. The swampy areas and creeks still need to be added and then I'll put the battle plan.

BTW, the font used is 18th Century from dafont.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	BattleOfLongIsland2.jpg 
Views:	1507 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	30250  

Here is the latest WIP. The map was scaled down from 16 x 24 to 11 x 17 so that my computer doesn't crash every time I do something to it.

the battle tactics for both battle are nearly done. Only the British flanking movement and arrows have to be added. The "boxes" representing troops were made to show units and size. The British and Hessians were in much denser formation than the Patriots. After that, I will add labels, a key, and a legend.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	BattleOfLongIsland-WIP.jpg 
Views:	1398 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	30435  

Wip

Nearly finished! I am done putting down the strategies. Next labels, a key, the legend, and one marsh will be added. Any comments or critiques?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	BattleOfLongIsland-nearlyfinished.jpg 
Views:	665 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	30467  

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks great. Do you intend to put flags in the legend? Might give it some extra touch.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks good and I agree with Sapiento some flags or the like would be cool - looking forward to see the finished map :9
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the compliments! I put the flags in legend like you suggested, they're still a bit out of place because I haven't displaced/bump mapped it yet. The labels are nearly finished, by tomorrow the ink should bleed . Some more labels, key, the rest of the legend, and one marsh need to be added.

BTW, do I have Sunday to work on the map? By this I mean, will the threads be locked on Sunday or Monday?

P.S. The main font is Neuton Medium and the title font is Old Style.

P.S. 2: Are there any necessary tweaks for the map before I upload the finished map?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	BattleOfLongIsland.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	30530  
    Last edited by Gallifreyan; 10-29-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: P.S. 2

Cool, I like the clean look of it.

Man I have so tanked on this challenge. I am pretty sure I'm not going to finish mine because I just don't have enough oomph right now.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast