Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: September-October Challenge: Visit Beautiful New Amsterdam!

Default September-October Challenge: Visit Beautiful New Amsterdam!

Hi everybody. This is my first post, but I've lurked here forever. I'll look at all the finished maps, try out a few tutorials for fun, make a couple of maps that I'd never show anybody, but I never thought that I would actually post anything. I'm sure there are a lot of people here like that, but this challenge was just too good to pass up. Everybody beat me to the post-apocalyptic maps, so I went in the other direction. I'm making an alternate reality modern New Amsterdam tourist map. Basically it's a combination of this kind of map:

and this kind of map:
    http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...Manhattan1.gif
    I'm making it in PS with vectors, which is new for me, and here's what I have so far. I'm trying to give it the feel of a brochure you would pick up at a newspaper stand or something. Overall I like the concept, but I'm sort of burned out on ideas for more stuff to cram in, and I've kind of hit my talent limit as far as those buildings go.

I always like detailed WIPs, so even though this one is sort of obvious...

Basically I just traced a vector around Manhattan and Brooklyn. Then I drew paths along some historic roads, some real roads, and some made up roads, and stroked them:

Then I added some buildings. Mostly I photoshopped some pictures together and then traced vectors around them (with a touch pad, blech) to get the vectors. I hope that's allowed, because I definitely can't draw a statue without a little help. I'm pretty sure I stole the idea for the statue of justice from a book or a game, but I don't remember what it was.

And then I used wikipedia to get some names and ideas for flavor, and that's where I am now:

I'd really appreciate any help, advice, criticism, etc. that anybody has to offer, but basically I just hope that I can give a little something back for the hours of enjoyment you guys have given me. Thanks.

### Latest WIP ###
    ________
    Extreme vaporizer review
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Amsterdam Map.jpg 
Views:	4063 
Size:	702.2 KB 
ID:	28869  
    Last edited by popup; 03-20-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Welcome to the Guild! The map looks pretty cool. You did a good job with the names and the coupons was a nice touch for a visitor's map.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hehe nice... and congrats on entering your first challenge - and have some rep for your first upload of a map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Cool idea. Welcome to the Guild...and have some rep for jumping in with both feet!
    M

Thanks for the support everybody. Right now I'm trying to overcome lack of talent with obsessive compulsion. I think it looks a little better, but I'm probably going to have to make more buildings to get anywhere from here. If anybody has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

________
    Teen vids
    Last edited by popup; 03-20-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

This is coming along nicely! I like the coupon idea.. Just as a thought, I've seen a similar styled map (though more cartoony) that had the coupons as a border around the entire map, that might be a thought if you're *really* dedicated (or insane) lol (then again, that's what I'd be doing so who am i to talk)

I might suggest that to make it pop more, have buildings/icons at each of the numbered spots.. you have them at a few, and to me those are the things that draw my eye. Even it's just the "Attractions" locations.

I also had a thought about the variety of fonts in use, typically you don't want to overdo it, maybe 3 at the most, but in a map like this different fonts and styles might work to your advantage, as long as they are consistent between what types of things they label (and I would toss that rule out for the ads - i've never seen fonts stay consistent between dozens of business cards, lol).

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Oh I almost forgot to add..

Quote Originally Posted by popup View Post
    Then I added some buildings. Mostly I photoshopped some pictures together and then traced vectors around them (with a touch pad, blech) to get the vectors. I hope that's allowed, because I definitely can't draw a statue without a little help.
    Um, not only would that be allowed (as you're making them your own) but holycarp, you're doing this with a touchpad? you're brave! I would figure mouse at least, if not tablet for this kind of thing.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Great idea, in fact, awesome idea. I love alternate history almost as much as I love zombies and post-apocalyptic goodness, so this one definitely appeals to me. I agree about adding in more buildings; what you might do is fill in every block with buildings, but make them a gray just a few shades darker than the background. That way you fill up all that empty space, but don't detract from the important attractions/buildings.

edit: Oh, and I really like the fact that the WIC building is a big black monolith - is that a subtle hint that they're Evil Corporate Overlords?

Nice concept man, really dig it have some rep.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Thanks for the help and encouragement, everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Just as a thought, I've seen a similar styled map (though more cartoony) that had the coupons as a border around the entire map.
    Actually, the map (Charleston, SC) I was looking at for inspiration is like this. The only reason my map isn't already like that is because there's no room, but maybe I'll just make it bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Oh, and I really like the fact that the WIC building is a big black monolith - is that a subtle hint that they're Evil Corporate Overlords?
    Yes, yes it is. I was looking for other ways to add in a little Weyland Yutani, but I'm kind of drawing a blank. I tried to commercial it up as much as possible, and it definitely feels corporate, but it needs an extra bit of evil.
    ________
    BBW MOVIES
    Last edited by popup; 03-20-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast