Thread: September-October Challenge: Visit Beautiful New Amsterdam!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default September-October Challenge: Visit Beautiful New Amsterdam!

Hi everybody. This is my first post, but I've lurked here forever. I'll look at all the finished maps, try out a few tutorials for fun, make a couple of maps that I'd never show anybody, but I never thought that I would actually post anything. I'm sure there are a lot of people here like that, but this challenge was just too good to pass up. Everybody beat me to the post-apocalyptic maps, so I went in the other direction. I'm making an alternate reality modern New Amsterdam tourist map. Basically it's a combination of this kind of map:

and this kind of map:
    http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...Manhattan1.gif
    I'm making it in PS with vectors, which is new for me, and here's what I have so far. I'm trying to give it the feel of a brochure you would pick up at a newspaper stand or something. Overall I like the concept, but I'm sort of burned out on ideas for more stuff to cram in, and I've kind of hit my talent limit as far as those buildings go.

I always like detailed WIPs, so even though this one is sort of obvious...

Basically I just traced a vector around Manhattan and Brooklyn. Then I drew paths along some historic roads, some real roads, and some made up roads, and stroked them:

Then I added some buildings. Mostly I photoshopped some pictures together and then traced vectors around them (with a touch pad, blech) to get the vectors. I hope that's allowed, because I definitely can't draw a statue without a little help. I'm pretty sure I stole the idea for the statue of justice from a book or a game, but I don't remember what it was.

And then I used wikipedia to get some names and ideas for flavor, and that's where I am now:

I'd really appreciate any help, advice, criticism, etc. that anybody has to offer, but basically I just hope that I can give a little something back for the hours of enjoyment you guys have given me. Thanks.

### Latest WIP ###
    ________
    Extreme vaporizer review
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Amsterdam Map.jpg 
Views:	4063 
Size:	702.2 KB 
ID:	28869  
    Last edited by popup; 03-20-2011 at 11:36 PM.