Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: September-October Challenge: USS New York

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I like it!

I think it's good to go as is (but Staten Island for command? Really? ). If you want to tweak, the I'd suggest a little more work on the star field. We've got very used to glorious nebulae backdrops from games like Eve and a flat dotted star field stands a bit. If nothing else I'd throw a bit of a glow on the stars to vary them a touch from straightforward white dots. Also - the flag. Any reason for it to be the French flag?

I love the fact that you can see lady liberty in silhouette in thefull iso view - but I had to reall look for her. Is there a way of having the figurehead detail clearly pulled out from there? I was struggling to read the detail view as it was.

I like the wikipedia style entry - and I think the green wireframe schematics work really well. I'm really impressed, and even more so when you said this was done without a tablet!

Let me be the first to rep you for the first complete entry!

Torstan - That is a lot of excellent advice--this is why I hesitate to call things done. There is always more touching up to do!

I will try to pretty up the backdrop more. I put a light "glow" on the stars as I didn't want to overdo them (I was trying to imagine that stars from Earth orbit, which is, artistically speaking, the exact wrong thing to do...) but I think you're right. Some nebulae might add some more 'splash' to the image.

The flag is actually the New York City flag, but my girlfriend asked the same question... The NY flag has an orange band rather than a red one, and the blue crest in the middle (though I see now the image I used has a redder tone than orange--I'll fix that). Knowing that, would you suggest I remove it? If that is everyone's first question, it might not matter whether it is the right flag or not.

I am not sure what to do about lady liberty--I have her zoomed a little as one of the images on the bottom 'info' part, but maybe that isn't enough. I am not sure what else to do though: Maybe I could make that bigger or try to come up with another way to present it. Hmm.

Thanks again, I'll get back to work!
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 09-09-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

that looks really cool... never thought much of using sketchup for anything - tried to model my house once, but didn't really get it to do what I wanted without reading the manual, so I dropped it *lol*
    great job
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I felt the need to Rep-Noodle that WIP Reckless...
    It's purdy...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Tilt - I know what you mean. Honestly though, after watching maybe 30 minutes of tutorials on youtube, it all pretty much clicked. But like I said, it isn't pro-level software and it can't do a lot of the cool things other programs have, which means I've got to do more in photoshop afterward. Oh well.

Juggernaut - I appreciate it, so long as "rep noodle" isn't a euphemism with darker implications than I think!

So, being not quite as done as I thought, here is a new WIP. I will still try to think of a way to feature the Statue of Liberty a little more prominently, and I might add just a tiny bit of HUD information (rings, text) around the planet. I'd be happy to hear about anything else I should look into altering!

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USS NEw York Layout.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	29081  

I like the new background. Guess I'd better rep you now before I forget!
    M

But but but... I want to rep-noodle this too... *pouts* Time to go rep-noodle other people some more...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well done R.E.! I would give you a dose of rep myself, but it seems I need to spread some more around first...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

No sweat, SG. It is the thought that counts! Although I'd be lying if my mouth wasn't watering at the thought of that fourth little green box--I believe it is about ten rep points away! Is there a list anywhere of what descriptions come with each benchmark? One day I aspire to being a "splendid one to behold" like you, SG.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Thanks... RobA might be able to provide the list of rep 'titles'... it may even be customizable like the "Guild" titles.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast