Thread: Rotate text in Photoshop and keep it crisp !

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Default Rotate text in Photoshop and keep it crisp !

You guys will probably know - I have a small font question.

Lots of times my maps require tiny tiny labels. Through trial & error, I found that Lithos Pro works the best. Also - i'm reffering to screen 72dpi resolutions only. Not print.

I've turned Fractional Width's off also. This only seems to be noticeable if I've rotated the text... which leads to my question:

Whats the best way you all have found to rotate SMALL text in Photoshop to keep the font very crisp? You know sometimes depending on the angle you've rotated, it gets very blurry.

Do you rasterize the text layer first, then rotate?
    Are there settings within PS that I'm not aware of for rotating?

Thanks - all

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Many people import their map into a Vector-based programs and do the labeling there.

I rarely work at less than 100dpi (usually 2-300) so its not that much of an issue.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Its blurring because of the interpolation of pixels. You would find it better to work with much higher res and then reduce as mentioned in my tut about technical side of images. If you dontt wan't to resample the whole image then you would still find it better to create a new image 4x size of what you need or cut out a section of the main image where you want the text and resample it 4x larger. Put in the 4x sized rotated text and then soften the image and then resample 1/4 size and paste that image (back ?) onto the main work. Theoretically that's the best way to do it. Easier I think to work with 4x res in the first place and scale the whole kaboodle at the end 1/4 size.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Makes sense. PS has several resampling settings in the image size dialog - any particular one work better? Or is the "Bicubic Sharper (best for reduction)" the best bet? Thanks -

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the names says it all ... but another option (depeding on what you final use is) could be to label the map in illustrator or indesign instead - then you can make a pdf from it where letters always are sharp
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

There is no 'best' resample but for this job a bicubic would be a good choice. I have a tut about all this stuff - maybe I should put a link to it.