Thread: Coloring Grey Height-Map

Default Coloring Grey Height-Map [PS]

Hi,

i have some detail problems with coloring my grey height map. Any advises or detailed tutorials about coloring it?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KayipEvren Deneme v1 - mini.jpg 
Views:	1473 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	28874  
    Last edited by Sifaus; 09-05-2010 at 07:21 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

First off, what software are you using? Second, what do you want it to look like? Because, right now, I don't see any problem...grab a brush and plop some color down. If you're talking about trying to make your mountains more natural, and less like wasp mud-homes, then you need to use a softer brush in the beginning so that the edges feather out more smoothly. Your post is very vague so it's hard to help you right now; please provide something more specific.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    First off, what software are you using? Second, what do you want it to look like? Because, right now, I don't see any problem...grab a brush and plop some color down. If you're talking about trying to make your mountains more natural, and less like wasp mud-homes, then you need to use a softer brush in the beginning so that the edges feather out more smoothly. Your post is very vague so it's hard to help you right now; please provide something more specific.
    Oups. Sorry. :/ I forgot to write them.

I'm using PS and want to give a natural look. I tried to just coloring with brush but it seems too solid to me even with softer brushes. I think my color selection bad, or something like that but i cant really find its 'consistence'.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

When using the brush tool, look toward the top of the screen. There you will see some boxes and numbers. Drop the opacity down to 25% or so and then when you paint it will be subtle so that you can build up the color slowly. Also, make sure to use an airbrush tip and not a soft round tip.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    When using the brush tool, look toward the top of the screen. There you will see some boxes and numbers. Drop the opacity down to 25% or so and then when you paint it will be subtle so that you can build up the color slowly. Also, make sure to use an airbrush tip and not a soft round tip.
    I allready using opacity but, i think thats the point. Using Airbrush tip. Thanks!

The airbrush tip isn't necessarily crucial or even the best thing. You get better control if you build up soft strokes in low opacity. Pen and tablet are strongly recommended.

Also. Say you are starting from black and building up white mountains. It can do good to go back and lower areas down with a black brush. Adds more variation of form, because the shape of a white brush fading down is different from a white area cut back by a fading black brush. I maybe need to work on a better explanation, but it's late and I'm in a hurry to bed. l8r!

I'm on my laptop which doesn't have PS on it, but another way is to create a hypsometric gradient tint (or just download one) and apply it using a gradient map, but you will need a grayscale heightmap to begin with, which may or may not be possible depending on how you've drawn the base map. Sorry I can't be more specific but I haven't got PS on this puter.

Many thanks for replies! With your help i done this: http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3...nemev1mini.jpg

I need to work on solidness of green, add some 'forests' and some, tundras, plains ect. And need to do sone snowy areas. But out of this i think i do what i can.

Nice. I like the lightly mottled look of the vegetation. It gives a good feel for a small-scale satellite view imagery.