Thread: Test of roof texture

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Test of roof texture

So, getting a bit tired of making houses I deciced to jump ahead a little and try to make some roof textures. The requirements are of course that they work no matter what angle the house is positioned in and this is my first attempt
    The first one is made with a hard chisel on the bevel, the second with a soft. The soft get rid of some of the ridges - but the ones a the end of the 45 degree houses remain...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rool-texture-red-01.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	28808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rool-texture-red-02.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	28810  
    Last edited by tilt; 09-03-2010 at 10:12 AM.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hmm. Its really only the houses at 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock that are problematic.

You may need to create houses on that particular angle on a different layer and subtly rotate the effect angle.

Or make a law that no one may build houses running NE to SW.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I kind of liked the hard chisel. It give an impression of tiles.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    Hmm. Its really only the houses at 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock that are problematic.
    You may need to create houses on that particular angle on a different layer and subtly rotate the effect angle.
    Or make a law that no one may build houses running NE to SW.
    hehe... yeah, that would be a good law ... and you're right those were the only ones that wouldn't dissapear when I changed the chisel to soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    I kind of liked the hard chisel. It give an impression of tiles.
    Actually I liked the chisel at first, but then I realised it was the bevel and not the texture that made it, and wanting control I'd prefer the chisel to be "invisibel" so I can decide where to see effects myself. So I changed to soft instead, but as Aval points out it doesn't remove all the chisel from the houses.

In addition to that I'd like some houses to have a more board-roof look and I have no idea how to accomplish that without handdrawing the stuff - cause using an effect filter would make the board lines go in strange directions on angled houses. ... any ideas?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise