Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: September-October 2010 Challenge: Never York

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

damn that looks good - makes me wonder about my upcomming map... gotta stay sharp
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This looks really fantastic so far.

I'm thinking of using lines of runes to represent the ley lines, but I'm also thinking it might make them look too confusing. In everything I've seen on lay lines they appear to be straight lines that intersect with each other and kind of form a web. I'm not sure wavy lines that look like ivy would look enough like actual ley lines. I do think I should maybe add more of them though.

My vacation starts in half an hour though, so I'll have the next ten days to do some serious work on it.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Agreed that the actual ley lines should be straight. Also agree that there should be more of them. There are a lot of little parks in NYC that you could use as sinks/sources.

How about straight, fine green lines on the city map and maybe line them with soft glowing runes of some sort. If you made the runes look "soft" (i.e. like Tolkien's elvish script, not dwarven) it might accomplish the same thing I'm talking about.
    M

I'm going to try and lay the nexuses out in one of these "geomantic" patterns...I just need to find which one will fit on the map the best. I did some occult research on wikipedia and found these. I'm thinking of using the straight one (the last one) because it means road or path, aptly enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	457px-Geomantic_figures.svg.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	29380  
    Last edited by cereth; 09-17-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Got a lot more labeling done and fooled around with the ley lines some more.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	new-york-project-WIP-6.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	29383  

My Albums - My Portfolio

Looks great, really awesome map! I think that you should use one of the patterns where it is seems like the ley lines are diverging (like the one on the bottom-left). Maybe that could explain why the NYC is so populated: because it is at a point where two lines merge/diverge?

BTW, what font are you using for the river labels?
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

love the lines, not so sure about the circles - maybe if they were runes too? or perhaps smaller - they just sort of clash ....
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I gave the ley lines some love and am pretty happy with the results. They seem to all fit much better now, I also did some more labeling in Brooklyn. I feel like I've made some significant progress in the first two days of my vacation.

The font I'm using for all the labeling is HandTimes.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	new-york-project-WIP-7.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	4.63 MB 
ID:	29419  

My Albums - My Portfolio

For the first time I look into this month's challenge, open the first thread and it starts with a stunner. Wow, well done cereth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast