Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: September-October 2010 Challenge: Never York

Default September-October 2010 Challenge: Never York

I have a few ideas for this challenge, and I think I'm going with this one first. Never York will be New York as seen through the eyes of the Fae. It will be an alternate dimension that mirrors our own world, albeit twisted and strange. Important New York landmarks will have slightly different counterparts in the mirror world. The mirror world will reflect the feelings and emotions these landmarks evoke in the real world.

I don't have a WIP yet as I'm still toying around with the look of the map and am trying to nail down what kind of view I'm going to use. I'm experimenting with a couple looks at the moment and haven't liked anything enough not to delete it. I like the concept though, so I'm going to keep battling.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sounds like a great idea... are you going to showcase both worlds or just the fae one?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Sounds cool. I can't envision it so I'm looking forward to seeing it.
    M

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Cereth: nice concept, I'm actually heading that direction myself, with the tolkien map I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I'm going to show both worlds side by side. I'm thinking actually of making it look like a two sided map...on one side "New York" and on the other side "Never York". Stains on one side would show through on the other side...writing might bleed through from one side to the other, etc. I'm setting the map in the late 19th century, gaslight type era. (I'm thinking "Through the Looking Glass" meets "Cthulhu"). The "New York" side of the map will kind of be an "Occultist's map of New York" showing points of Arcane interest and areas where boundaries between the real world and the other are weakest. "Never York" will mirror the New York side but be twisted and dark...these won't be happy or fun type Faeries. I'm thinking of mimicking the city streets of New York with a dark and foreboding labyrinth.

Here is my first WIP showing my progress on the New York City half of the map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-york-project-WIP-1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	28933  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Now that I'm looking at it, I think I want to extend the top up a couple inches and make the map more narrow. I'm probably going to scrap this and start over again, but it will still be along these lines.

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Well it's certainly looking pretty. Like the palette. Any chance you've been reading some Neil Gaiman recently?

Partially inspired by the Dresden Files books, actually. :-)

Restarted from scratch...went MUCH bigger this time. Didn't want to fall into the same trap I usually do where I make a map too small. This one may be pushing the upper file limits...just started and he's already over 4 megs. And it's only half of the map. Much happier with this one though so far.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-york-project-WIP-2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	28951  

My Albums - My Portfolio

Guild Novice

Nice concept and ditto on the pallet, awesome choice of colors. Been reading Karen Moning??

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

that looks really nice .. and don't worry about working big - you can always size down later and you'll still have the big map for the exibition
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast