Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Drawn Maps. Not in PS, GIMP, InkScape, etc. But in HAND.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Arhan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm the other way around. I can hand-paint, but my mapping skills kind of need to catch up first/ get decent. Totally intend to draw/paint maps using 'real' paint and brush someday.
    Last edited by Arhan; 10-28-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    Finished Maps: OakfallHand-drawn Battlemaps

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

well post some scans or photos of what you've painted ! - I envy people who have the skill to actually paint with a real brush.

oh yeah - one of my favorite cartographers is Mike Reagan. He paints in watercolors only. I've had the privilege of chatting with him (in email) and he say's he wishes he could use Photoshop, but he has no idea how. Like he needs it ! - Browse through some of his maps. He worked many years for National Geographic.

http://www.mapsbymikereagan.com/#goto=maps&viewimage=1

Guild Journeyer

I prefer a classic hand mower to something with a motor. Well, at least a quality build,... The one I have now is nearly as bad as a gas mower with how badly it rattles and whatnot. They take up less space to store, and I don't have to put up with the annoying loud engine or excessive vibration.

I'm also thinking when I get my own place that I'll get some sheep. (And then build a robot to run around and clean up after them.)

I also like drawing by hand. I'm more likely to do notes and sketches by hand, rather than on computer. The oddest part of this? I'm a few months away from a degree in computer sciences.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    The oddest part of this?...
    you mean besides the entire post

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by RjBeals View Post
    you mean besides the entire post
    What's wrong with pointing out the oddest of the odd?

To push the unpowered mower back to Gwyddion's original question :-) does anybody have books to recommend? Amazon has reasonably priced used copies of some of the authors recently mentioned - Raisz, for one. Only you can't snap up all the copies before i get one! Other than pen technique, I imagine cartography textbooks cover all the basics about how to depict features, rules of thumb for composition - true whether for hand drawn or digitally created.

A further question to help us help you, Gwyddion - just *how* old-school do you mean? 1940, or 1540? Can you link some examples - even if they're digital ones - to show styles you're shooting for?

While its certainly true, that a percentage of my maps are completely digital works, there's another percentage (fairly high) that is hand-drawn work enhanced to a digital hybrid in the final composition. But I don't have a tutorial for it, my hand-drawn style, is my own style - I can't really train anyone on how I draw. Draw what you see, in your mind's eye. I don't know how better to explain it. then after you scan it in the computer, handle it like any other digital map and go from there.

There are plenty of old school mapping fans here. And while I do prefer my hand-drawn work, I wouldn't confuse that with old school. My maps don't look old school to me.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I draw my maps by hand because I can't draw maps on a computer to save my life. I draw a basic one, photocoppy it, then add and continiously photocopy. When I am finished I blew it up to journal size then trace it. Finally I color it in and ink it. It's a labor of love.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast