Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map of the Exile

Guild Member

Map Map of the Exile

Hi,

this is not really a WIP, because I'm shelving it. I'm a bit tired of it and don't plan on improving it anymore. I wanted to try a few tutorials (by jezelf and kjdavies, to name two), and this is the result. I'm not very happy with it: the labeling is ugly (though the lack of names is intentional; it's supposed to be the part of the worlds known to the people of Menferhat), and the river police can have a field day because I made a mistake with a layer and some of them are unfinished.

But it's my first in this style, and I wanted to get some feedback. Critiques very welcome, but if you're too harsh and make me cry, my girlfriend will spank you. You've been warned.

Thanks in advance :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exile.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	28964

Could you post a pic of your girlfriend?

I don't find it that bad, and I really like the colours. Don't worry about the river police because the rivers are hardly visible at all. Perhaps you could try to find a slightly more Egyptian-looking font.

Yeah I think it looks pretty cool. I like the texture of the land itself. Did you do those curved names in Gimp because the Pathing of labels in Gimp is a pain (nice job if you did). It's easier to export the map into Inkscape to create the labels then send them back to Gimp.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Call off the girlfriend...I think it's quite nice actually. I like the colors and texturing and you have GREAT coastlines and landmass shapes. Stuff I would consider fixing:
    1) the border and glyphs are really neat but they're a little "soft" compared to the rest of the map and the color's a bit odd (clashing?) If you could tighten those up I think the map would look significantly better.
    2) The torn edge is very stark. Take a look around for torn paper tutorials. Here's one I've used to good effect, but there are many others: http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/torn/torn.htm
    3) Not really a must-change item but I'd consider a more script-like font and grunging the names up a bit...they seem a little stark and type-set for the style of the map.
    Hopefully I've not been so harsh as to deserve the wrath of your girlfriend (unless she's a good spanker, in which case I can make another post).
    M

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Did you do those curved names in Gimp because the Pathing of labels in Gimp is a pain (nice job if you did). It's easier to export the map into Inkscape to create the labels then send them back to Gimp.
    That's exactly what I did :-) I realized the issue with curved names in Gimp last time I tried to do them, and switched to Inkscape for that.

Thanks for the comment!

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    3) Not really a must-change item but I'd consider a more script-like font and grunging the names up a bit...they seem a little stark and type-set for the style of the map.
    All issues acknowledged, though I'm a bit confused with this one. What do you mean with "gruning up the names a bit"? Do you mean the appearance of the names, of the names themselves?

Thanks in advance!

Here's a tutorial that sort of gets what I was talking about:

http://freeyourdesign.com/photoshop/...d-grunge-text/

Guild Member

Wip Somewhat fixed version of this map

Here's the new version of this map. I've taken into account what you all said, though I've been too lazy to address all the issues :-) In particular, the paper edge is still like it was originally. I hope I'll fix it somewhere in the future, but I don't promise anything. I've tagged this as "WIP" because it's what's it's turned into.

I couldn't "grunge" the text as I'd like, but I've used a filter of Inkscape to make it look a bit eroded. I think it's better now. Besides, I've added a few things I had in mind but hadn't commited to paper (so to speak) yet. Hope you like it.

Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exile-2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	29185

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like it, it's very desert-ish.

Guild Novice

nice work. what is the police used in the lower left corner (Mapa de las tierras del Exilio) ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast