Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Map tiles for cyberpunk game

I wouldn't mind having a go at this, but I'm happy to defer to anyone else who wants to do it in particular.

p.s. I've just got back from holiday so it will take a week or so for me to get back on top of things. Regarding scale, If we start with the tiles which will contain the smallest buildings, probably suburbs or slums, how many buildings do you want per tile (roughly). Also how many tiles are you looking for in total for each group?

no no you don't understand I don't want to fit entire building on a tile. I'm interrested in more zoom. I want walls curbs and streats on my tiles

here is an example

you are welcome to experiment and ask as many questions as you want I'm just glad I could give you an exercise that can enrich your skills
    Last edited by Jahith; 09-19-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks, I understand you want more than one building on a tile. What I'm trying to do is to understand the primary restrictions. Once we know what they are, then we can start. For example. Will you be using counters in your game to represent characters on the tiles? If so, how big are these going to be? I assume the counters should be able to fit on the pavement? If your pavement is only going to be one or two pixels wide, then that is how big your counters are going to be which means that the best they can be to differentiate between them is colour (no pictures or anything). Is this what you want? The picture you have posted is 840 pixels wide, not 64. You do appreciate that with 64 pixels you are going to get a lot less detail, and you can pretty much forget having curves or circles since the anti-aliasing is going to look horrible if you zoom in. 256 or 512 pixels might be a more sensible size if you would like a reasonable amount of detail.

I would really like to work on this, but I don't want to put in a lot of effort to find that it's something that won't work with your game.

Blog Entries

No Ravs, that image above is made from a trillion little 32 x 32 tiles. There's one for the tarmac, one for the pavement, the kerbs use alpha channel on either side and there is a straight kerb and two curved ones... umm.. there was six he told me about. So basically you make all the little pieces and he makes up the jigsaw. The tarmac and pavements are the base layer. The kerbs fit on the next layer etc.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

it's okay no harm done. you are welcome to ask more questions I will be happy to awnser them.

I think this will clear things up

here are few pictures of the software I'm working with
    it is called "Tiled Map Editor" and you can download it here

here I marked with arrows workspace where map is created, layers window, and tileset window where I have my street tiles located.

1) is asphalt tile i used
    2) are all the edge tiles I can use. because they are all the same I can choose any of them
    I also marked here the layer that I selected to work on.

here are marked all 8 edges I used in this. as you can see there are 4 normal edges and 4 reversed ones
    Last edited by Jahith; 09-19-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You could easily do this by picking some good patterns or textures (ones that don't look bad when repeated all over) and then just add some shadows and colors to the edge tiles. Now that this makes some sense I'm sure that someone will pick this up.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm glad to hear that Ascension. I didn't think that my request will be so difficult to understand and I wasn't ready. I am sorry and I will try to explain things better in the future

somting like this :

???

this is awsome ramos I really like how it looks and I need something just like that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast