Thread: How do I make a map appear to be chiseled in stone? [PS CS5 Extended]

Question How do I make a map appear to be chiseled in stone? [PS CS5 Extended]

I have been pondering different styles for a desert map I need. At first I was going to make it "realistic" using the Terrain Creation Tutorial v1.5. Then I thought I wanted something more cartographic than "natural" so worked on Ascension Atlas Style. But it still wasn't what I was after. Next I tried combining several Hand Drawn Tutorials. Getting there... but not what I want.

Then it hit me.

I want a map that appears to have been chiseled in stone. Something Egyptian-like with hieroglyphs and such. I can do the hieroglyphs well enough, but getting the look of a map chiseled in stone... I am drawing a blank on how to do that.

Blog Entries

You can use an effect called on most paint apps - Emboss.

Start with a basically black and white image and blur it a bit then do Emboss then maybe use the negate or invert colors so that it looks like the black bits on original image are sunken into the grey. Then create a new image same size and fill it with grey noise and blur it quite a bit to give a rough rock type appearance then multiply the two images together and adjust brightness to suite.

Then you have rough textured stone with engraved map in it.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-10-2010 at 06:31 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That's a great solution RR!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

What a great idea and so darn simple. I didn't expect something so simple to work so well. I'll try it tonight when I get off work.

Started with some ideas and didn't like them. Please I need some advice! I can SEE the map in my head but can't figure out how to make it. These suck but I hope you can get an idea of what I am shooting for and offer some advice.