Thread: Black/Whiite Rock formation/cliff template

Post Black/Whiite Rock formation/cliff template

I recall a tutorial from the Dundjinni forums on how to create chunks of cliff material/rock formations using Photoshop. The technique was fairly simple: acquire a black and white rock template, overlay your desired texture, then cut and paste a selection with a feathered lasso. However, what I'm missing is the black and white rock template that was included in the tutorial. It was the only template I ever used for rock formations, and now that I'm on a new PC, I've lost access to it with the fall of Dundjinni.

Does anyone know the tutorial/template to which I'm referring? If not, does anyone have similar rock templates that can be overlaid with other textures? I've tried setting other rock textures to grayscale, but in order to overlay correctly, the rocks must be white with black outlines, not gray.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I know the tut, tried it once. I'll look through my folders and see if I still have the images. If you don't hear back from me tonight then I don't have them.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ah, suppose it's lost to time, then. Or at least until Dundjinni comes back (if it ever does). Has there been any word on that, by any chance?

If I recal what you are speaking about, you can make them like so...(instructions in Gimp)

Start with a image of rocks.

Desaturate and stretch the contrast with Colours->Auto->stretch contrast.

use Layer->Transparency->Colour to Alpha and pick 50% grey.

This gets your overlay. You can now select a feathered selection and erase outside. Here is an example...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rock_overlay.png 
Views:	16695 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	28980
    Is this what you wanted?

(and another with a better source image):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rock_overlay_2.png 
Views:	1835 
Size:	898.9 KB 
ID:	28981

-Rob A>

And I could overlay another texture on top as needed? Very nice. The rock template I'm thinking of is much larger and makes for easier selections, but this will do just fine. Many thanks!