Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forest path / Tree experiment

Default Forest path / Tree experiment

I just felt like making some trees since I'm always looking for a new ways to do things. Although I may never come back to this, C&C is as always welcomed. Anything I can improve on for next time

I tossed a grid on just for kicks. There is always room for another quick encounter map, right? (fyi, I may not have the grid size right, like I said I was just goofing around. If you want it changed just let me know and I will take care of it.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	treeexperiment.jpg 
Views:	974 
Size:	830.0 KB 
ID:	28976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	treeexperimentNoGrid.jpg 
Views:	1299 
Size:	826.7 KB 
ID:	28977  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

That looks most excellent. Those trees, I don't think I had see anything like that before, and they look really good. Did you make those yourself? Perhaps a bit of dodge/burn to give it some illusion of height, mostly on the ones above the darker green, which I assume is grass/moss or something of the like.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

They are actually from a mostly round grunge brush. I used 2 shades of green with the "Use Color from Gradient" then I just wriggle them a bit to fill them in so they aren't full of holes. I touch them up flipping between my two colors so the overall image has the right look. (so one side isn't all yellowish and the other green). Use the curves to get the color a little better. I then Duplicate the layer and use a 'find/edge', colorize the result, merge it down (this creates the leaf like texture. I use my eraser to break things up and add some trails where I want (I used a brush called 'inner space' I think which has a lot of holes in it). The green grass/moss flooring was a by product which I liked.

I will attempt this again and track my steps better. I had created one set I didn't like and blew away a bunch of layers before I created this so sorry if I'm a bit vague on what exactly I used. I promise to do better next time
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Wow, really nice Jax. Something about it reminds me of my father's old train-set model trees. Maybe because they look slightly 'fuzzy'. I really like the amount of soft detail on these, so they all look like they 'match' but still don't look same-y.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks great - and I agree with RE, they look a bit like model trees for trains .. nice
    As an avid battlemap entusiast I'd like to make a minor suggestion... a few grid marks in between the trees - cause you want to run through those and fight to - gotta get at those pesky archers hiding there, you could just mark the corners, and perhaps some marks to tell us where there is a trunk (but not absolutely necessary)
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for that bit of wisdom Tilt. I will keep this in mind. There is a grid that is under all the trees but the pathways are not really wide enough to show them. So are you wanting I should make them wider or are you saying I should put the grid over the trees? By "mark the corners" do you mean show the intersections of the grid where it is beneath the trees? That might work and I might be able to do that on these without having to redo it.

I would not put the grid over the trees. But, perhaps TWO grid layers. The one in the trees section could be masked off to NOT include the full gridlines as they are on the road or other displayed areas. Does that make sense?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I think so. That's what I was thinking along the lines of. Just creating another grid that shows the intersects with a bit going over the edge of the trees. That way you could have an archer in the cover of the tree or you could move through the trees along the edges but not directly through them...I guess another test is in order

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

exactly what I was trying to say ... keep the grid you got, and just a small mark on the intersections above the trees
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Ok, here is my interpretation for a secondary grid for the tree areas. Does this work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	treeexperiment.jpg 
Views:	1542 
Size:	704.3 KB 
ID:	29009  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast