Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mechanar

Blog Entries

Default Mechanar

A commission for Empyrean Games I am working on at the moment.

Shane at Empyrean Games sent me a wonderful paragraph or two of text that sums up the world succinctly but I'll leave off posting that up till I post the final image so that it sets the scene nicely for it.
    The world will be a steampunk place filled with clockwork gizmos and doofers and sounds very intriguing.

Anyhoos... here's where I am at the moment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empyrean 3..jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	23938

Not a lot of this is currently set in stone and any part of it is liable to change before it is finished.

This image is copyright of Empyrean Games so please no copying.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Looking very good so far. I like the muted tone and the crinkled paper. It's effective.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that the wrinkled paper might be too heavy right now. Good start otherwise, bro.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm always impressed by what I've come to call the 'Artful Grunginess' of your maps Ramah....
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Not a massive update here.

I've altered the coast somewhat, making it darker. I've added a little character to the region: The Black Rust Area. I've also done a first pass at adding in the seven sentient cities. I was asked to use an icon to represent each of them: A fish, a spyglass, a tower, a crab, a shield (and spear which still needs adding), a winged leviathan and a phoenix.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empyrean 4..jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	24094
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

I love the way that each of your maps is just a little bit differerent from the last but they're all your style and they're all beautiful. Lovely work as always (although I do agree with Ascension that the creases on the paper are bit heavy).

Blog Entries

Hmm... if I'm getting several people commenting on the same thing then maybe I should indeed tone them down a bit. I actually really liked how battered the paper was (it's another one of CM's fantastic aged paper's from his thread in the elements forum - go get them people) but I may be in a minority.

Anyhoos, I'm not going to make a change to it just yet because I do suspect that as I add more to the map it will tone itself down when viewed with the other elements. If not, then I can always crank it down a little at the end.

Thanks for the comments.

Blog Entries

Wow... I love those Icons Ramah! As a frequent user of icons, I am fascinated by the power that they have to focus attention on a map, and how much information they can convey. Your icons are gorgeous, with a true Da Vinci feel to them. I'm impressed and inspired!
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Nice Map! The planet I'm working on is steampunk-ish also.. well.. steampunk "lite" i call it... but with a Victorian feel and some tech advancements in particular areas due to lack of accessibility to petrol and coal.
    Last edited by a2area; 04-25-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

About the creases...just keep them around the edges. Fade the middle out a bit so it's not so prevalent. It's what I'm doing on my current challenge so feel free to try it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast