Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Elvarn Trading Cities

Default WIP: Elvarn Trading Cities

I was playing around with some of the tutorials, made a mistake, but liked what I saw. I'm trying to decide if I need more landscape/etc. Also, I am not a fan of the scale bar at the moment. I do like how the mountains came out, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comp.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	29426

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks nice I agree with you on the scale bar maybe you could lose the black box?
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I took your advice about the box style scale and made a smaller scale bar. I also added a frame and some trade routes. I'm not sure if I want to retain the routes, or if I'd rather just have the cities. The actual image is too large to attach, so this is about a third of the size.

Name:	smelvarnwithframe.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	986.7 KB 
ID:	29468

Blog Entries

Now that is looking very good. I personally like the routes. The only thing is the description for the black route is hard to read. Keep up the great work!!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

great looking map! the black legend label is a bit hard to read. I like the color on the 2nd one better but maybe a little more blue in the oceans may make them more .. euh "oceanish" . Also the shorelines are a little darker then the ocean color and may look better if they are slightly brighter then the ocean. well, just my thoughts... cheers!

All right. I changed the black to a light green. I also tried to make the sea bluer and lighten up the image around the coastlines. I'm not too sure how successful I was on the lattermost.

Name:	bluer.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	296.4 KB 
ID:	29508

ETA: I had attached the wrong image. Fixed now.
    Last edited by lisze; 09-19-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Blog Entries

The routes key is much better. now that I've looked at this map a few more times I like it even more. The only thing I have now is it may be a bit blurry. But great job still!!

Finished Maps

Thanks. Do you have any ideas on how to decrease the blurriness? I was trying for a soft and somewhat faded painted feeling, but I guess I went too far.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lisze View Post
    Thanks. Do you have any ideas on how to decrease the blurriness? I was trying for a soft and somewhat faded painted feeling, but I guess I went too far.
    actually now that I look at it again it's not bad..maybe it's ME thats blurry.. you could go a little lighter on the ocean but the overall feel of this map is beautiful

Finished Maps

I think it's the shorelines and maybe the ocean that looks blurry. You might try using a "sharpen" on some of them but that will only get you so far. Sometimes when I over-blur stuff I just have to redo the layer with a bit less blur.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast