Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fictional map created for Scholastic Books

Great work as always and I think it's you nailed the style of the niche perfectly. Thanks to this map, I'm sure there will be many a pre-teen girl dreaming of pampered lifestyles and ponies before they even get to chapter 1.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Guild Apprentice

I, as an adult, really like the map. I think that as a pre-teen some children may have a problem with the scripted / copperplate style font. Perhaps some italic font like Lydian or Goudy old style italic may be more suitable. Unfortunately, since handwriting, especially cursive longhand is no longer taught in school some children may have a problem with this font! Just my opinion though!
    Surveyor
    Last edited by Surveyor; 09-12-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling

I'll have to agree with everyone else, i think indeed that the font is a bit hard to read (I'm thirteen).

Btw; Did you use Carson Mansion as a reference for The Rosemount?

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
    I think that as a pre-teen some children may have a problem with the scripted / copperplate style font. Perhaps some italic font like Lydian or Goudy old style italic may be more suitable. Surveyor
    I don't know, I kind of like the cursive flavor of Bickham Script Pro. The weight and line quality seemed to flow well with the map's inks. I actually looked at Goudy but it felt too stiff inside the scrolls. Readability for the audience is definitely something to think about though.

Quote Originally Posted by Marken4 View Post
    Btw; Did you use Carson Mansion as a reference for The Rosemount?
    Good eye! I looked at Carson Mansion to develop the overall feel of Rosemount Manor. I modified the layout and simplified the shapes to fit, but the Carson was definitely an inspiration.

Guild Journeyer

Love it. good work! - nice and clean and readable. very professionally done.

thanks for showing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12