Thread: Random new guy

Info Random new guy

Hello all, I'm new to this site. I'm a gamer (above all else), an art tinkerer, a computer programmer, and a bunch of other random nerdy things. I am part of a company called DwD Studios (responsible for the Star Frontiers revival and webzine starfrontiersman you can get (FREE!!) at http://starfrontiersman.com. We are hard at work designing a new game, but as a diversion from the complexities of game mechanics/balance/testing, I thought to put together an adventure module or two for Labyrinth Lord (http://goblinoidgames.com). That's how I came across this site, looking for maps for the module as placeholder art until I could commission an artist. But in doing so I noticed the fine maps built by all you guys by use of CC3. My past experience (with the original CC) was less than satisfactory, so I decided to give CC3 a shot. Turns out that with a little effort, common sense, and some CAD skills (I'm a Controls Engineer in my real life) I can build my own quality maps. Well... maps anyway. I'll leave the "quality" term up to you to decide.

I'm hoping with use of the galleries and comments, my cartography skills will grow and I'll be able to do more maps for myself without requiring all that expensive outsourcing. Thanks for all the tutorials and assistance and I look forward to your critique, whether it's candy-coater or brutal :-)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome and glad to have ya.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome to the Guild. Oh, and, Star Frontiers ROCKS!
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Agreed! One of my greatest passions is sci-fi roleplaying. In time I hope to hone my mapmaking skillz enough to pull off some good sci fi maps.

Welcome to the Guild!

Ahhhh, STAR FRONTIERS! Loved that Game, at one time had the original boxed sets (not sure if I tossed them....sad really). I did the following as a map challenge in the Guild way back, based on the VOLTURNUS Series of mods. It was a flash animation of the 'module intro' so to speak, and all maps etc were done in CC3: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Frontier-Space

If you *ahem*, need a CC3 proficient mapper to do maps for your modules and such, please look at the maps I have done and let me know if I can be of service
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome aboard. I also loved Star Frontiers. Anyone want to play a Dralacite? <--not sure on the spelling. ROFL

You will learn lots here and we look forward to seeing your progress.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

We always joke that my co-DM has Dralasite humor. I'm more of a Vrusk sort of person myself. I played a Vrusk martial artist in the S.F. revival game we played recently. That was fun.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Was the Draalsite the thing that looked like a garbage can with tentacles? Can't remember...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Human = Well...Human
    Dralasite = Pseudo humanoid Bloblike creature. Trilateral frame if I remember Correctly (Almost like on Earth is Bilateral)
    Vrusk = Insect like
    Yazari - Ape like, able to glide short distances.

And of course, the EVIL Sathar = Worm Aliens BAD

The one thing I remember clearly from STAR FRONTIERS was this one module where you could find/use a Hover Tank. Now the thing about the HOVER TANK was it was based 100% on the Hovertank from the boardgame FORTRESS AMERICA: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...rtress-america

http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic573717_md.jpg

I actually have a version of the game with SADAM HUSSIEN on the front. The game is no longer sold with him on the front. http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic163559_md.jpg
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 09-10-2010 at 10:19 AM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave