Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: City Of Riverhewn WIP First map in GIMP

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip Added Some Farmland And Forest

Ok here's where I stand as of tonight. I added some farmland and a bit of forest. The city wall is a sketch to see if it fits. As always feedback is requested and appreciated. Thanks!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Riverhewn Phase 2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	29151
    Last edited by jtougas; 09-11-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: multiple images
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip Phase 2 Update

PHASE 2...hmm thats sounds ominous. Well the citizens of fair Riverhewn have undertaken a HUGE magical adventure and traveled back in time to before...(WHAT???)

Ok seriously here I am now I'm getting pretty happy with this one. BUT I'm not sure about the buildings. I freely admit they are clone tool construction and I have several hours of road construction and erasing to go. I guess what I am asking is does it look to scale?. The city wall is a sketch that I am planning on thinning down as is the castle wall. Feedback requested and appreciated as always..Thanks!!

Views:	86 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	29187
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip Almost....

Whew..here it is in a nearly finished state. I would like to do something with the outlying roads still as well as start to sling some text on it. All in all I like it. it was a great learning experience and a lot of fun. I'm thinking it will be done sometime this week As always feedback requested and appreciated..Thanks!!

Views:	104 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	29190

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like what you've got goin on here...good stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It's coming out really nice.

Nice start. Your farmland could use some better blending. If you don't have it this way already, put the farmland texture on it's own layer above your land. Then make your selection of the area you want it to fit into and save to a channel (Selection->Save to Channel). then right click on that layer and add the channel as a layer mask. Click on the layer mask in the Layers dialog and blur to taste.

Also, it appears as if the top part of your forest has a bit a blurriness to it.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

There seems to be a pox upon Riverhewn Wood..The axemen have reported a great "haze" descended upon the northern part of the forest....

OR...I must have blurred that layer one too may times...thanks for the kind words and the advice I will work on both those issues

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip The Long and winding road...(that leads to....)

In other news:...The city of Riverhewn today announced that it would indeed spend the staggering sum of 12 gold pieces to sprinkle long trails of dirt in order to facilitate a transport system....

Here's tonight's update: I worked on the streets a bit although I can't seem to get them just right just yet..*stand back,look,fiddle,fiddle* I also "unblurred my forest" I'm not sure if the trees are just right yet*more standing back and looking*. I also reworked the outlying roads a bit and I'm starting to like them. jfrazierjr I appreciate the tip on layer masks but I can't for the life of me get it to work. Now it IS 3am here so maybe my brain has had a bit too much Shendenflar and not enough Monday Night Football I'm not really sure. But I'll give it another shot tomorrow after work. As always feedback is requested and appreciated. Thanks!!

Views:	96 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	29245

Finished Maps

Did you happen to take a look at my tutorial(in sig links)? If you are still having trouble and can zip up your xcf file and attach,I can show you what I mean(make sure to include your "farm" texture on an entire layer with nothing else.. The layer can be not visible if you want, but the texture needs to cover the entire layer)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Heh. Hadn't noticed this one before. This is the first time I've ever been "sampled".

It's looking pretty cool, jtougas. I reckon my biggest gripe is the trees. They're out of scale and look a little harsh next to the fieldlands - and are now a bit grainy following unblurring. Might try turning an overhead photo of some trees into a seamless texture.
    M

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast