Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Morning Everybody.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Welcome to the guild!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild!!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Korash,

Thank you for the input. I still have a lot to learn for sure. The darkness was to represent an increase in elevation for allow for the clearance for a bridge to be placed over a fast moving stream which would be more difficult to try and ford, but I see your point.

The maps lacks cover items because as you assumed they have not yet been added. I was not happy adding in every single rock, bush and tree one at a time in layer upon layer from mapping object files and instead added them in using Map-Tool. Since then I have started to embrace d20Pro which lacks the same map building robustness and am starting to learn other techniques for adding those elements in Gimp.

The river/stream did not come out as I would have liked. I was trying to go for a more photo realistic look and most rivers and streams I have seen are not blue, but I defiantly need to work on that more. It's just not right yet. I would agree that the water in battle maps does need to be more stylized then my current attempt.

The texture scale is defiantly in need of some scaling. I either need to double the size of the image or scale the textures down by a factor of 2 to make them fit the drawing scale better.

I actually like the appearance of the stream, but I agree with Korash that the crossing point looks like the place where the crossing would be most difficult. Generally, darker is interpreted as lower or deeper, particularly with water.

That said, it's certainly worth clearly stylizing your water so that there is no doubt about whether a character is standing in the stream or not, since that will likely make a difference to combat rolls.

Anyway, you're off to a great start!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12