Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requesting a map for a Three Book Fantasy Trilogy

Map Requesting a map for a Three Book Fantasy Trilogy

Hi All,

My co-author and I are working on finishing up a fantasy trilogy and we are looking for a bit of help creating a usable map. I have a MS Paint reference for you to use for the basic creation.

FEE:
    •Paid- No
    Time Constraints:
    •No rush

Map Requirements:

Needed: Mostly terrain with : Oceans, landforms, vegetation, rivers, mountains/mountain ranges.

Not Needed/wanted: buildings, names, titles, farms land, animals, etc.

Quality & Size

I am no map / pixel expert; that being said it needs to be a large map sufficient for zooming to around 1"=100-200 miles.

Copyright

I'd want the right to freely distribute the image physically and electronically. I'd want the right to use the image commercially.
    This map will be used on the webpage for the book and of course full credit will be given to you for your work with a link to a website of your choosing if you so desire.

Please contact me at milne@tds.net if you are interested in lending your assistance with this project.
    Last edited by torstan; 09-24-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Do you know what style you are looking for this to be done in? Perhaps a link to an example you like would help, if you have any.

I know you have a reference and I'm assuming it has locations for mountains, towns and so on but probably not the look you want.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I have no specific preference for the style. I'm kind of looking for some help there. I would be willing to accept any artist style choice.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

So you're looking for free terrain maps to put in books that you hope to sell...good luck, my man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

No, we just needed a map to use while writing. The MS Paint versions we have pinned up at the moment are no longer making the cut. Its getting harder and harder to write in a world we cant see.

Sorry if I broke some kind of rule. I was going to put the map up on the books website as a progress update...

You haven't broken any rules. It's just that, if you're planning on making money from your project, it would be respectful to at least offer some token form of payment to the mapmaker.

I'd want the right to freely distribute the image physically and electronically. I'd want the right to use the image commercially.
    The first bit is fine but the second part is iffy from the point of view of the guy that invested time in helping you out. Some folks here no doubt want to build their portfolio, though, so you might find a taker that's willing to do something for free and allow you to use it commercially. We all understand tight budgets but, if you really think your project will make you some money someday, maybe see if you and your co-author can scrape up a few bucks to offer for this project - it'll go a long way toward finding a cartographer. Good luck with it!
    M

There have even been a few maps that were done for donations to this website because we love it so much
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I understand, the point I wanted to convey was that its entirely possible that any map made could have ended up on the website selling the E-Book version of this work. I didn't want to not be upfront about that during the request process.

No monetary income has been generated by this project at this point. The website will be a way to start getting the books out there so we can begin building a fan base. I thought a map would help...

It's cool. We're not trying to be unwelcoming or unhelpful at all...and whatever deal you make would, of course, be between you and the cartographer.

If I were looking at taking the job for free I'd probably say that you could use the result on your site and to promote/educate about your books but would want to negotiate a fee at a later time for it to appear in a commercial product (and I'd be willing to take a per/item royalty in lieu of an up-front fee if that worked better for you and we could work out the accounting process). That's just me, though, and others may have different ideas.
    M

Okay well now that thats all worked out lol....

As an update to my request then I would like to add... If at any time your work is used or distributed as part of a commercial product then I would be willing to buy the rights to your work, this would be worked out prior to it appearing in said product..

So... If anyone is still interested at this point ... let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast