Thread: World of Coynne

Wip World of Coynne

This is a big 24x36 inch map at 150 dpi because I envision it as something to print at Kinkos on poster board, so I am not going to thumbnail it but provide a LINK to the full image instead.

I started working on this piece as just a practice thing but it worked out really well. So I decided to polish it up and post it on my site as a free resource for GMs to use when playing the RPG that I wrote (FREE DOWNLOAD).

I am planning on releasing this map in multiple versions (unlabeled, city labels only, terrain labels only, etc) so that any GM that wanted to use the map for their own homebrew could do so.

As you can see, I am about 1/3rd of the way through labelling everything, but I wanted to go ahead and put it up here for commentary as I finish it up.

Thoughts?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks pretty good so far. You do have some river issues on the 'southern continents'. A lake may have many sources but generally will only have one outlet (it may start with more but eventually one becomes dominant). I also saw where a river system empties into two different bodies of water, this generally cannpt happen.

You may want to look at Ascension's continent making tutorial, it will give results similar to what you have but a bit more realistic in appearance.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I do like it in general. Let me second SG's recommendation of Ascension's tutorial. I've done it a couple of times and am now combining it with some layered texturing techniques and am pleased with the results. You certainly could do the same process with the brighter/saturated colors you're using if that's the look you're going for but I think you'll like the mountains you can get with Ascension's atlas style techniques.
    M

It's very dramatic!! The land massed evoke the image of giant crabs battling eachother.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Giant crabs, hehehehehe

@ Steel General, not sure which place you are talking about flowing into two different bodies of water. Can you be more specific?

Regarding the mountains, this was done just as a skill building exercise and the mountains were random scatter. I am working on another map where I am actually placing them manually, with combinations of clusters into actual ranges, and so on. Going through and reworking the mountains on this map in that respect is too complicated to be worth it for me at this point.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I should have been more clear...

On the 'continent' of Bourna, near the group of 3 lakes (which are by an inland sea). That river system is splits and empties into the sea in 3 different locations. Rivers generally don't work this way. Think of them as a tree - the upper branches start at higher elevations and converge into the larger branches and eventually the trunk as they approach the sea/ocean/lake etc.

On Tianu you have a couple of lakes that appear to have two outlets, while this is not impossible, eventually one of the outlets will become dominant and they other will 'disappear'.

Sorry for the confusion.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.