Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City designer 3 Beaches/coastal towns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default City designer 3 Beaches/coastal towns

I'm Learnoing CC3/CD3 on my own here. i have watched some vid tutorials as well as done some pdf tuts. but now i'm on atime crucnh for my RP game i'm hosting and i need 4 maps done 2 are coastal. and i cant figure out how to make some beaches that look very good.
    I'm running into the situation when i add an outer glow with x color where the ocean goes off the side of map it looks funny it likes fades of and looks tapered. then i wanna ad some effects in the water to give the effect of shallow to deep, i tried an inner glow for that with a light blue but it gives a nice effect where the beach is but it goes around the boarder of the map. i'll give an example jpg. i did it to the extreme so it stands out what i'm talking about. looking for semi realistic beaches. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	demo.JPG 
Views:	314 
Size:	170.2 KB 
ID:	29141  

Guild Novice

Default Maybe this is what you're looking for

I drew 3 contours, one using the Background Stone 2 Fill and the other using different shades of water. This shows no effects, but I used edge fade and glow on the water and the background sheets and that looked pretty good. You have to tweek these effects to your liking and it will take some patience.

Name:	CC3 Beaches.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	29145  

The almost spot on what i'm looking for. Where is the drawing Contour tool? Also when i manualy draw the contour and add the edge fade, i'm not seeing the 3 contour to blend with edge fade, inface i'm not seeing the fade efect at all. Thanks! ok another Question i saw some CD3 maps with Nice cliffs. and i'm shooting for a lighthouse on a harbor Island and on 1 side i want some cliffs. and the light house is going to sit on the edge.
    Last edited by Stixx925; 09-11-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Guild Novice

There is an icon, 2nd column on the left, that has a hammer crossed by a pencil, right click on this icon. This will open up the drawing tools. If you click the advanced button on the bottom of this dialog window you can create your own drawing tools. I created a smooth polygon filled using a bitmap fill. Hope this helps.

Name:	beach 1.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	29152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Draw Method.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	29153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beach 2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	29154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custom drawing Tools.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	29155  

Yes that does explain a bit better. thank you. as for a few more questions on the subject befor i change over to part 2 of the coastal creation. Lets say i Layed out water before, can i COPY the Ocean I've already created. Make a copy of it and edit the properties as in change the fill style , change sheet its on, then scale it larger. With out having to redraw it? Because i Really like the style ocean port i have made.

Now on to part 2

On this coast i want SOME cliffs, I've seen some interesting maps with cliffs. i was looking in the forums for galleries and such and i came across this post of some one that did an awesome job for a first time. any how he had some cliffs on there and it almost looked like it was a model or something used to draw em. I'm shooting for a cliffed island for my light house and some of the coast i want cliffs.

Guild Novice

the icon under the eyedropper will let you change the properties of an entity. Click the icon then select the entity, the right click and "Do it". here you can change sheet fill color, etc... to make something larger or smaller use the scale tool (look like a rectangle getting bigger, icon on the left). I am thinking about the cliffs, there are many ways to do them, and I think I'll need to draw one up and take a few screen shots.

I'll try and do it tomorrow.

ok the blending of Water and beaches is done, i added a few effects to. I made 3 new sheets. BEACH, OCEAN SHALLOW, and OCEAN DEEP. I added an edge fade, inner to all 3. tweeked settings a bit and added 2 glow effects, 1 to ocean shallow . i added gray to make it look as if the beach was wet, and then i added a beach glow to blend it into the grass. all and all it came out very nice. now all i gotta do is cliffs and i think it come along nicely. haven't decided on what city wall shape , and where to began and end. but we will get there.

Name:	beaches.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	29165  

When I make City maps, I do not like playing with 'uniform' settings, i.e. Using just glows, etc to simulate things like beaches, grass, etc, but prefer to use shapes that then have these effects applied.

Below is a closeup of a city, Deestan, that shows the beaches/etc without the effects on,and then the same with the effects on.

Name:	Deestan Effects On.png 
Views:	315 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	29172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deestan Effects Off.png 
Views:	327 
Size:	431.2 KB 
ID:	29173  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Novice

Post One Method of Drawing a cliff

I just added a contour above the beach and under the water and place lines to show height. This is really rough, but i hope you get the idea. You will have to mess with the line width, in CC3 it is in paper dimensions, so as you zoom in and out the line stay the same width.

Name:	cliff.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	29186  

that's a cool technique. I appreciate the reply, and I'll definitely use that technique on some maps. but what i was looking for was more along the lines of the ones used in Erkas357's map "The City Of Udenford" Erkas hasn't been on in almost a month so i don't think I'm gonna get a response any time soon. so any input how erkas achieved those cliff would be great.

On One other note how do i get rid of the over hang on my map ( there's a bunch of the drawing hanging outside the border.) if it was a photo program I'd use a lasso tool and circle everything i don't want and then just delete it. i know it wont show on the printed version but when i add sheet effects i think its slowing down the rendering. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast