Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Collapsing World

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Taking a short break from the Earth 2174 map work, I was going to draw a map for the battle challenge, but instead I felt compelled to work on this one. I do have an issue with Inkscape choking on this map, though. When I found "The Edge", a shared world being worked on at The Piazza, I decided to steal their methods create Collapsing World v2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aw-map-01-a-small.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	36641

Not much to say about this, yet. This is the surface world only. As you can see I decided to scale down the collapsed areas found on my original map, and instead add more breaches. This should make for much more interesting terrain in the long run.

I created the template in Inkscape, but decided to draw the actual maps in Paint.NET. Later maps will be a combination of Paint.Net and Inkscape.
    Last edited by bartmoss; 06-21-2011 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Me fail English? Unpossible.

Blog Entries

Update - these are the collapsed areas; the dark gray is basically the debris - the "new continents". The blue thing in the west is the last remaining surface ocean.

Name:	aw-map-01-c-small.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	36651

Blog Entries

Alright, we're getting somewhere. Current WIP:

Name:	aw-map-01-d-small-annotated.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	36655

I've added a bunch of general notes with Inkscape, most should be fairly self-explanatory.
    The "Last Civilization" area is a remnant of the once flourishing civilization of the surface world; the guys in this area resisted falling into anarchy long enough to build a series of dams; rainfall in the old continent to their east flows down in rivers and is kept here in a gigantic reservoir, allowing them to irrigate a large area.

This is a cool layout. I have been planning to do a map using this sort of layout but I haven't gotten around to it myself. Glad to see it, keep up the great work you are doing.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Thanks - yeah this map is fairly fun to draw so far (unlike my Earth 2174 map which is hard work).

Updated WIP:

Name:	aw-map-01-f-small-annotated.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	564.1 KB 
ID:	36666

I just spent 90 minutes adding that south polar region.

Other than that, the only thing I did iirc is shrink the "last civilization" sea.

Blog Entries

Alright, finished another update of this map. No huge changes; basically filled in the empty parts of the map with more ancient continents. I'll let it sit for a while, maybe fill in a few details here and there, but for the most part I think I will call this "done".

Name:	aw-map-01-g-small-annotated.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	620.5 KB 
ID:	36681

Blog Entries

Thank you. What I learned from this map is that the fact that I can't add too much detail (there is a fixed resolution) makes progress much faster. I'll probably use raster images more in the future.

Blog Entries

Uploaded final version with slightly more detail, this map is done. See Final Maps thread.

Blog Entries

Bah! I discovered that I messed up my template. So I just spent about two hours fixing the map for the new, corrected, template. Anyway, now thi s map can shine with a hex grid:

Name:	aw-map-03-b-annotated.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	36774

Phew.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123