Thread: Map of Reiketsu

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Map of Reiketsu

This is the map of the Kingdom of Reiketsu for an an east-Asian-esque campaign setting. The Kingdom is very tiny (about the side of Rhode Island) and is quite overpopulated. Hundreds of refugees pour into the cities of Reiketsu every week. In fact so many have come that the entire southern half of the country is covered by a great slum where the poor, the destitute, the weak and the feeble eek out a meager existence on conjured bread-water and broken dreams. Within the inner walls of the various outer districts lay a land of peace and (relative) prosperity.

Principally I'm looking for general concerns, criticism and any advice/ideas you may have
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reiketsu.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	29150  

I love the colorpalette. The map looks good as it is!

I would probably add a parchment texture and reduce the canvas structure a bit. Something like this: http://www.sandobar.de/papiertexture...l-handouts/175

Quabbe

Looks pretty cool. Random thoughts:

1) I like the look of the odd political boundaries you've established. Am I reading it correctly that the circular areas are walled? Those would be tough to build precisely and aren't a very efficient use of space. What's your reasoning behind them? Are the names in the various boundaries family/clan names?
    2) I think you've got more than a few "river violations" unless these are mostly canals within the walled area. I'm guessing this is the case but you might want to note it on the map in some way.
    3) What's the scale of this?
    4) What is Binbaranda? Doesn't sound "Japanese" so I'm assuming it's another cultural group? Heh. Sounds almost aboriginal.

So. I think you're on to something. I like the look fo the map in general. The "linen" underpainting and the color scheme both serve to give it a very "Asian" feel. I'm working on an Asian-inspired campaign setting myself (sig link) though my "Japan" will likely lie untouched for some time to come. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!
    M

Thank you both for the speedy responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Quabbe View Post
    I love the colorpalette. The map looks good as it is!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Quabbe View Post
    I would probably add a parchment texture and reduce the canvas structure a bit. Something like this: http://www.sandobar.de/papiertexture...l-handouts/175
    There is a texture to the base of the map, though it is fairly light. I'll look into the link

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Looks pretty cool. Random thoughts:

1) I like the look of the odd political boundaries you've established. Am I reading it correctly that the circular areas are walled? Those would be tough to build precisely and aren't a very efficient use of space. What's your reasoning behind them?
    Yes they are walls The reasoning for their circular nature is that each country in this 'cultural group' claims the use of different Geometric shapes. Reiketsu uses the circle, while Ashige (to the east) uses the Hexagon while Makita to the north utilizes the Triangle. It was sort of a throw-a-way campaign idea that evolved into something more grandiose (and considering Reiketsu is the wealthiest of the countries, it can afford to be needlessly grandiose). =)

Are the names in the various boundaries family/clan names?
    Yes indeed! The boundaries with in the 'big/central/main city' (which is called Saisho) often change with the fortunes of the various clans. That is why some like the Ao, Oo and Zako clans have such a small slice of land while the Kourei, Kawabata and Chichidon have so much. Outside of the Saisho, the lands of the Clans are much more rigid and stationary, mostly do to their walls.

2) I think you've got more than a few "river violations" unless these are mostly canals within the walled area. I'm guessing this is the case but you might want to note it on the map in some way.
    Yes, all the violations are due to canals, which will be noted on the map when I update it.

3) What's the scale of this?
    The scale is... Hmm, the country is roughly the size of Rhode Island, so very tiny... Probably 50 miles long and 30 wide. So every centimeter is going to be about 4.3 miles. Which means the 'big/main/central city' is roughly 23 miles long by 20 miles wide (at its greatest extent).

4) What is Binbaranda? Doesn't sound "Japanese" so I'm assuming it's another cultural group? Heh. Sounds almost aboriginal.
    Binbaranda is the Engakuization (Engaku being 'japanese') of the Dwarf kingdom's name Vinland... If that makes sense. =)

So. I think you're on to something. I like the look fo the map in general. The "linen" underpainting and the color scheme both serve to give it a very "Asian" feel. I'm working on an Asian-inspired campaign setting myself (sig link) though my "Japan" will likely lie untouched for some time to come. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!
    M
    Thank you again!

P.S. I really like your Haibainr map!

I like it. I think it might look nice if you add some amount of coloration in place of the white areas though, even if it's only a light cream color. Repped.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Texturing gives it a very nice feel like it was drawn on rice paper. Great job
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.