Thread: Hi All New Guy Here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hi All New Guy Here

I think this sight is fantastic and I am very happy I discovered it.

Just recently I began dabbling in mapping in Photoshop after watching Butch Curry’s mapping videos that he posted on YouTube. Other than those videos, the majority of techniques I have found through web searches and on this sight seem to focus primarily on 3D mapping. I am not looking to create anything that sophisticated or realistic – at least not yet. Right now, I am focused on simple 2D town and city maps. One area I am struggling with is brushing in tones of green to represent grass of all things. I have seen stuff that I like – subtle shading – graduations in tint – the colors flowing through random shades of green – eventually fading to earth tones. Problem being, I have not been able to duplicate the same affects.

Can someone point me in the right direction on this sight or other sights where I can find a tutorial for creating this effect on my maps?

When I create a map that I like I will post to this sight for comments and suggestions. So far no such luck but still plugging away.

Nice to meet everyone and thanks in advance for all your help.

Raic

Welcome to the guild, Raic!

Quote Originally Posted by Raic View Post
    Can someone point me in the right direction on this sight or other sights where I can find a tutorial for creating this effect on my maps?
    Um, what effect? There is no link. You could send a PM to the artist asking for some sort of a tutorial. You need to post at least 5 times to send a PM though.

In case it might help, here is the Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping and here is tutorials/how-to section.

Happy mapping!
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Gallifreyan View Post
    Welcome to the guild, Raic!

Um, what effect? There is no link. You could send a PM to the artist asking for some sort of a tutorial. You need to post at least 5 times to send a PM though.

In case it might help, here is the Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping and here is tutorials/how-to section.

Happy mapping!

Thanks – Happy mapping to you as well

Regarding my request for help with depicting grassy areas on a traditional 2D city map –

I guess I am looking for brush and technique recommendations. There are sooooo many options in Photoshop, instead of spending a lot of time hunting and pecking and experimenting I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to save me time is all.

Here is a link to Butch’s training session –

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO4XZ...eature=related

The map that he shows in the beginning of each tutorial has areas of grassland depicted that I really like. Problem being is that none of the videos cover this technique. Call me lazy, but if someone could recommend brush styles and other (what I call special affects) to mimic this look, that would be awesome. If not, thanks for your consideration, I will continue playing around with Photoshop until I come up with a close facsimile.

Raic

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I didn't look very closely, but it looks to me as though he's simply got a green layer with the opacity turned down. The texture comes from the underlying parchment. The way I'd do it would be to fill an entire layer with the color green I wanted, then add a layer mask to it that I would fill with black (so none of the green can be seen). Then, using a large, soft brush, I'd paint on the mask with white where I wanted the grass to appear. Then reduce the opacity of the layer to taste.

It can also be useful to paint on the mask with a grunge brush, if you want less regular edges. There are tons of tutorials out there for making grunge brushes, or you can do a search for some on DeviantArt. I think it's a worthwhile exercise to make your own brushes, though.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name