Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: August/September entry: Collapsed Bunker

Trying a chain-link-fence border. Not sure if I like it (I think I might not). Feel free to let me know what you think. Made the door to the bunker angled down with steps, so you have to descend into it. I think I achieved the perspective-effect I meant to. Also, A little trimming of the rubar--I am not sure I know what you mean about "chunking" mearrin--do you mean chunks should be hanging from the rubar, separated from the wall, or just that the edge around the holes should look cracked and not as smooth? Both would be valid points. Tried to fix up the tree--I think it looks a little less fuzzy and a matches a little better now...

But should I remove the tree? I mean, roots run deep, and there is a huge bunker beneath it. I suppose the tree could have been dragged over on top of the hole, but why would someone do that?! But, I also feel like the tree gives something additional to focus on, which benefits the whole. Grrr, I don't know what to do..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	August_September challenge latest.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	29257  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 09-15-2010 at 01:01 AM.

Nah, dont think the borders adds anything, although the shadows are quite clever.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Aval - I agree, fences removed. I liked the idea, but I'll have to include them in something else, when I have more time to fiddle with the idea. Also decided to keep the tree--I figure it was a dead or fake tree used to camouflage the bunker, which explains why it fell over so easily!

Okay, I have a really busy day today, so I don't think I am going to get any more time to work on this (should have started earlier of course), but I am proud to have come up with a more-or-less complete last-minute entry. I'd really like to collect a full set of three silvers one of these days.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	August_September challenge latest.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	29295  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 09-15-2010 at 01:04 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's impressive work. The tree looks very good now; good call leaving it in. What about adding in some half-buried skeletons? Or would that just be overkill?

Looking great. Yeah, I meant trim back the bar a bit...make it more irregular...and add some chunks of concrete still stuck to it. Buried skeletons would be super cool and convey that the "disaster" happened a while back. Might not be possible in the time remaining however. The entry looks a lot better. I think the tree is fine. Nice map. It's not an immediately obvious use of the shapes provided so I really dig it. Oh. And. It's P-A, so it'll be high on my list of maps to vote for. I need about 10 votes this challenge.
    M

Thanks for the compliments and criticisms, guys. I just really wanted to create something where the shapes were negative space, rather than oceans or land or whatever. I feel like I accomplished my goal. Now, to see how voting goes! Hopefully it will be listed as "Collapsed Bunker"...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

We can change the thread title if you'd like...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That would be sweet! Thanks, SG.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Thread title changed as requested...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another great use of the shapes...and I thought I was clever....great concept!!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast