Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: August/September entry: Collapsed Bunker

Default August/September entry: Collapsed Bunker

Oh for goodness' sake, only two days left and for some reason I decided I needed to jump into this and give it a shot! I think I must have an appetite for self-punishment.

Anyway, not enough battle maps, so I'll have to 'fill that gap' if you'll pardon the map-related pun. Not sure if this concept really works with the Rorschach or not, but hey, it's practice.

If anyone has any ideas for how to spruce this up, I'd welcome the C&C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	August_September challenge.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	29240  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 09-15-2010 at 01:01 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can dig it. I can even dig the idea of the fallen tree but this particular one looks fuzzy and stamped on. I have no idea how to make a better one, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I think maybe if you shaded it to imply roundness? That would fix up the tree. My biggest question when I look at the map, however, is "what happened here"? It's not a sinkhole. Maybe an underground structure caved in? If so, maybe you could hint at that with some bits of stone block that didn't fall in? Or, if it's modern or post-apocalyptic (which it sort of feels like), you could throw in some concrete or re-bar. I vote for P-A (of course!) and suggest putting some tires and other junk on the surface! I mean, this world's totally dead...so how could it not be after the bomb?
    M

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You could change the 'black holes' to lakes of lava or something...

SG - thanks for calling my out on that. It is one ugly tree. I'll work on it, if I decide to keep it. I wasn't even sure I wanted one...

Mearring - I think you're on to something with the P-A theme. I didn't really know what to do with the sinkholes, and rubar is a good start. I have decided this will be a collapsed bunker, so you should see me filling in the black a little bit to hint at what is beneath. current rubar is a placeholder until I can put a nicer version in. Also added some tire marks to hint that this isn't a standard fantasy map. I think this'll have a 'fallout' feel if I can manage to finish it in time.

Diamond - I thought about something like that, but everyone is doing lakes and islands, so I thought I would try to make the shapes just represent empty space. We'll see if I stick to that, though.

Only one day left to work on this thing!? Better get cracking! I know how I'll be spending my lunch break today. Um--if anyone can edit titles, can you please change mine to "August/September entry: Collapsed Bunker"?

Name:	August_September challenge 2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	29241  

This is cool. I like it although I'm not sure why...hehe, I know that sounds odd but maybe it's the colors. It's just got that sad lost derelict look.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hah! That's what I'm talking 'bout. Looks great!
    M

Default The Collapsed Bunker

Like I said, working on my lunch break -- rapid fire C&C welcome so I can actually get something presentable before the end. So, it is a collapsed bunker, added huge pits in the ground to make people think of explosions, which would also explain the cave-in. Added some shrubs, an entrance, and a chain-link fence along the top--not sure if that fence looks good or not--I like the idea of the shadows implying what it is more than the areal profile, but it might just look sloppy?

Still haven't worked on the ugly-tree--I swear I'll get to it.

I am thinking about adding more blood splatters (you can spot them if you zoom in and look hard enough) and maybe some discarded weaponry? I'd like spent shell casings, but they would be too small to see...

Name:	August_September challenge latest.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	29251  

And yet another last minute entry that is looking great.I am finding that things are getting quite interesting now, at the end of the challenge.

If anything I trim back the re-bar in places and the "chunk up" and whiten up the concrete a little (it's pretty dark grey). You've got pretty solid strips of re-bar and concrete and I'd expect it to be a bit more patchy. It's morbid but take a look at the pictures of the World Trade Center site, or any modern destroyed building to get an idea of what I mean. You're probably right that a bunker ceiling would likely have a criss-crossing grid of metal to give it strength but it might also have some beams? Just some thoughts.
    M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast