Thread: November Entry: Simply Western

Post November Entry: Simply Western

Not being able to compete with Gameprinter's artistry (and not wanting to let him go it alone this month) I took a different route.

Attached is a zip of a svg file created using Inkscape that contains enough elements to make a simple western map.

There are a number of layers, including one called symbols that has all the symbol sets and line types that can be dragged and stamped, or used in a "past style" mode.

I also included chunks for railroads and the rope that can be combined with paths using "Generate Path along Path" (That is how I made the RR lines and the rope around the title box).

Oh - here is an exported sample of the whole image (including the symbols and the map I made with them.) This is 100% Inkscape, no retouching.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	westmap.png 
Views:	477 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	1664

I used the WildWest Normal font which you will need installed for the svg file to render them properly.

If anyone wants any of the symbols as png's just let me know.

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post I like the sepia tones!

Nice map, though simple style - RobA! I like the Sepia tones in the background. And I wish I had a way to paint in tracks, but of course being a hand drawing - automation is not possible.

Thanks for keeping me from being alone on this - I really appreciate the participation! Nice ropework framing too!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Good for you, Rob!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Very nice! Is it possible in Inkscape to trim the paths so that the knot you made with the rope doesn't look transparent? I tried to do some Celtic knotwork once with Corel, but my approach was somehow flawed--every time I tried it my curves went berzerk.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Very nice! Is it possible in Inkscape to trim the paths so that the knot you made with the rope doesn't look transparent? I tried to do some Celtic knotwork once with Corel, but my approach was somehow flawed--every time I tried it my curves went berzerk.
    The simplest way would be to add a non transparent background to the element used to make the rope, then it wouldn't be transparent. The flip side is that it would not allow the map to show through (like the border element).

Once could also intersect the whole rope with itself then zoom in and erase the bits that don't belong, then recombine. That would be a lot of effort.

I did notice that the latest Inkscape branch has "Live Path Effects" that automate this whole path along path extension and pull it into the core, but as far as I know this is not in the windows binary build yet
    -Rob A>
    Last edited by RobA; 03-25-2008 at 03:14 PM.

I love this!! This really captures the Western feel and simplicity of the maps from that time period. Well done!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.