Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Eurasia Map - Large or Multiple

Default Fantasy Eurasia Map - Large or Multiple

Hi All,

I am ... you guessed it looking for a map!

FEE:
    • Paid- Yes

Time Constraints:
    • No rush long standing project/hobby

Map Requirements:

I am looking for an original style map that is similar to the following styles :

Forgotten Realms Map
    ProFantasy Map examples - Not the city maps the atlas type maps

Map would include approximately the area shown in this map:

Eurasia

The scale is variable based on the design (one map or several).

Needed: Mostly terrain with : Oceans, landforms, vegetation, rivers, mountains/mountain ranges.

Not Needed/wanted: buildings, names, titles, farms land, animals, etc.

Quality & Size

I am no map / pixel expert; that being said it needs to be a large map sufficient for zooming to around 1"=200 km
    or If its easier / better it could be made up of individual "Sectional Maps" which can be much smaller. Considering Eurasia (not including N Africa takes up around 52,990,000 km2) it will be a big project but again it doesn't have to be exact just very similar. I am open to negotiation on maps in parts and time frame.

Copyright

I'd want the right to freely distribute the image physically and electronically. I'd want the right, or option to purchase the right, to use the image commercially. I'd want exclusive commercial right to it's usage, but the artist would retain the right to display or sell it as a work of art. I'd retain the right to reproduce the image in full, or in part, on my own or through a commission with another artist.

If the price for this sort of thing turns out to be reasonable, I could turn into a repeat customer. I have a number of maps/icons I'd like done in similar styles and possible some much simpler maps that I'm interested in having done.

This is my first map request, and I am no cartographer, so bear with me if I am using naive terms.

You can contact me here : Zhurrie
    Last edited by Zhurrie; 09-04-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    What your still mad about that?!

Visit my world if you dare: www.empiresofthesands.com

Zhurrie,

Hi there, and welcome to the guild. I do have some questions: if the map really is just all of Eurasia, I am surprised you don't just find a normal terrain map of the region--what kind of things are you looking to have included on the map that aren't on othereds Or is it just that you're interested in having it stylistically look like a fantasy map? Also, about the size: You said the area is 52,990,000km2, and you'd like it to be zoomable to 200km=1inch. My math might be off, but if you want even a lower, screen resolution of 72ppi, then wouldn't that make the image about 20,000,000 by 20,000,000 pixels in size? Or, printed at 300dpi, over 5000 feet long?

Hmm, maybe he means 1 pixel = 200km but then that would still be like almost 265,000 pixels wide? That's still too many, I think, for my PC. Maybe I'm not doing the math right either.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

A vector map could be zoomable to this extent with no problem whatsoever.

And your math is wrong as well. The size of Eurasia is 52.990.000 SQUARE kilometers. The width of the continent is about 12.000 kilometers. This works out to 60 inches (each 200 km), at 300 dpi this would result in a pic of 18.000 pix wide. Which is manageable.
    Last edited by Fransie; 09-01-2010 at 04:19 AM.

Of course, you are correct Fransie. Well spotted.

Heh, well that is much better then.

Good thing this isn't a mathematicians guild
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Default Size matters! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fransie View Post
    A vector map could be zoomable to this extent with no problem whatsoever.

And your math is wrong as well. The size of Eurasia is 52.990.000 SQUARE kilometers. The width of the continent is about 12.000 kilometers. This works out to 60 inches (each 200 km), at 300 dpi this would result in a pic of 18.000 pix wide. Which is manageable.

Even said, if 18K pix poses a problem, I am fine with splitting the map into sections as long as it lines up when printed out or displayed on side by side screens, and the theme remains constant or even starting with a smaller map say 4K Pix wide. Depends on how much time the Cartographer has ... If you are interested let me know, I am sure we can find a solution.
    Last edited by Zhurrie; 09-03-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessEnthusiasm View Post
    Zhurrie,

Hi there, and welcome to the guild. I do have some questions: if the map really is just all of Eurasia, I am surprised you don't just find a normal terrain map of the region--what kind of things are you looking to have included on the map that aren't on othereds Or is it just that you're interested in having it stylistically look like a fantasy map?
    Hi Reckless,

Thanks for the questions: I looked at lots of different terrain maps (google, DG Terrain Viewer, free geo - images from space) and they just dont have the look I want. I dont want a simple colored fractional map with that kind of accuracy; I am looking more for a gaming - fictional looking map. Like a Forgotten Realms Map. It may be I am an old dungeons and dragons gamer that is nostalgic for the old days, lol. I tried making a few myself but they just look cheesy to me so I thought I would see if someone with real skillz would like to try it. I see a lot out there of fictional places that I like just nothing based on planet earth.

~ Z
    Last edited by Zhurrie; 09-02-2010 at 08:19 PM.

I have been roaming around the website and found a few more examples that are closer to what I am looking for , nicely done BTW; not sure Ill ever be that skilled!

I think the parts that I like in both examples are the individual looking trees, nice coloring & shading and scale:

Voradin

Vaniya

Also , I have been thinking maybe it would be better to start with a smaller area, maybe just Italy, India, China or UK .. dealers choice

This Map request has been accepted and is no longer valid. Thanks all for your advice and help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast