Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York Monsters???

Default New York Monsters???

I have an idea for the Current "Super" Challenge but it's rather lacking in subject matter...
    The idea is to do a "cartoony" map of (mainly) Manhattan - in the same vein as my "doodle" in the city section - and to identify all the landmarks (or otherwise) for all "Alien/Monster" destructions and so forth. Unfortunately, I can only identify a few films that actually qualify and I was hoping you actual 'meuriceuhns might know of some more? There may be some TV series not well known this side of the pond that would be obvious to ye locals?
    What I have on my list so far is...
    --- remember, its Aliens and/or Monsters - I have avoided the mass destructive films like Armageddon, The Day After Tomorrow etc. I need, at least, a single identifiable building/place that gets hit (at first)

Statue of Liberty - Cloverfield
    2, Broadway - Men in Black - HQ
    Woolworth Building - Cloverfield
    Brooklyn Bridge - Cloverfield
    Bayonne (off map) - War of the Worlds
    117 Spring Street - the pizza place in MIB 2
    54, Macdougal Street - the Rosenberg Jewellers in MIB
    Flatiron Building - Godzilla (actually hit by the army, not the monster, I gather)
    Madison Square Gardens - Godzilla
    Empire State Building - King Kong, Independence Day, Daleks!
    Chrysler Building - Q, Godzilla (hit by helicopters)
    Time Warner Building - Cloverfield
    Central Park - token appearance of Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Guggenheim Museum - MIB
    55, Central Park West - Ghostbusters' Mr StayPuft
    "Manhattan Tunnel" - I'm assuming the Lincoln Tunnel here? - The Deadly Mantis
    Flushing Meadow (off map) - MIB
    Athens, NY (way off map) - the ferry scene, The War of the Worlds

As you can see its mainly Cloverfield, MIB, and Godzilla - and I gather Godzilla wasn't to blame!

Anyone got any ideas for others???
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

King Kong! Actually, I'm not up on monster movies. Was there anything showing NYC in Mars Attacks! What about superhero stuff? Surely there's some of that?
    M

Spider-man villains, perhaps?

Yep, King Kong - Empire State building
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

The Daleks have been to Central Park ("Daleks in Manhatten", 2007).

You can turn up more stuff with Google:

http://io9.com/345631/ten-great-new-...rom-new-jersey
    http://www.unmuseum.org/notescurator/monstermovies.htm
    This starts with the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms mauling Coney Island. That's got to be good. Most of the rest is non-New York films, though.
    http://www.premiere.com/Feature/20-M...stroy-New-York
    http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=1154

That ought to provide a start on inspiration for further research.

Also, don't forget that several of the muppets are technically monsters:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087755/
    Last edited by rdanhenry; 09-15-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: posted before I was done

Thanks guys!
    @mearrin & Jax - Yup, indeedy, King Kong was the easy one, and already on my list !

@RE - I'm not a spiderman officianado I'm afraid, I'll have to check up on the baddies there, cheers.

@rdanhenry
    The Daleks from the Dr Who series I had down as being at the Empire State Building, which I gather was where they were up to no good (as usual) - I'll have to search a bit deeper to find where else they are associated.

That's the problem really. Someone has already noted how freaking BIG New York is for mapping so I kinda need important places where monsters have either done damage or dwelt or been associated with in some manner.
    King Kong is an easy one - the fight against the planes on the Empire State is almost iconic.
    The Q beast was rather small and only really snatched nekkid wimmin and the like - I think - but it lived in the Chrysler Building so that can be drawn at least.
    The C.H.U.D - which I confess I have never heard of, look rather too small to damage anything building sized and seemingly lived in the sewers, so no particular place to associate them with. That's tricky to depict.
    However, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms sounds excellent - now I'm just off to find where Coney Island is!!!

I probably have enough to do something with, it might be better with more... we'll have to see! In the meantime, this is a very quick and rough sketch idea for Mr Cloverfield giving the Brooklyn Bridge the old "once over" as an example of the sort of thing I was going to put on such a map...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brooklyn.png 
Views:	756 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	29320
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

that sounds like a great idea.. sorry I can't add to the list, and in response to the superhero ideas a lot of superhero stories unfortunatly takes place in fictional cities ... but you allready have a lot and depending on how BIG you picture each incident you might not need any more?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

You could do something equally comedic and twisted...

The Big Nasty Monster's Food Guide To NYC.

Brooklyn Bridge: Bit chewy, and the wires get stuck in your teeth
    Chrysler Building: Too much glass, it hurts your palate!
    Central Park: Good for entrees and also light drinks. Joggers are tasty but the bicycles provide a nice texture...

I'm sure you get the idea... could be a VERY funny entry. I just lack the cartoon skills to ever pull it off.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

DC fictionalizes cities. New York has two DC doppelgangers: Metropolis and Gotham City. Marvel, OTOH, uses real cities and New York is superbeing central.

The biggest problem is that the same places tend to be revisited time and again, because using a major city for a setting, you want to blow up (or at least showcase) the major landmarks.

The Daleks have been to the Empire State Building twice: During "The Chase" (1965) and then again in "Daleks in Manhattan"/"Evolution of the Daleks" (2007). But the ESB is one building with *lots* of monster visits. Central Park has a bit more room on the map, so I thought I'd point out that they'd been exterminating their inferiors there as well.

The Empire State Building was the focal point of the alien attack in Independence Day as well.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast