Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coppernight Hold

Wip Coppernight Hold

Ok ... well this is my first mapping project and I have decided to tackle Coppernight Hold from Dungeon Delve.
    Comments and criticism are welcome if not asked for.

The first thing I decided to make on the map is the rubble which should cover the edges of the map to the east and to the south and also some other parts so that means basically a lot of rubble.
    For me the rubble should consist of pillars, rocks , wood and a broken tool or two.I made the pillars and I'm happy enough with but about the rocks I'm still playing around. Sometimes they look like dirt and sometimes like circular pillars.Oh well.

P.S. If anybody notices, the grid is not in black but in a shade of brown because I think that will go better with the dirt background.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encounter 1-1 Kobold Defenses.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	28605

Hard to comment yet but I'll watch this develop and try to help out if I can. I could probably Google it but do you have something that tells about Coppernight Hold/Dungeon Delve? I've never heard of it.
    M

Dungeon Delve is a supplement for D&D 4e.It contains thirty mini-adventures for one night play each.So basically instead of trying to map a whole adventure I decided to try to map three encounter areas.The one I am doing the mini-adventure for level one.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.a.../9780786951390This is a link to wizards product catalog where they say some more things about it if you are interested.

P.S. I hope hope I've inserted the link correctly.

This is what I have came up with after a morning(for me a morning) of searching and expirementing with gimp. This biggest problem a had was to make some of the rocks seem at a higher elevation than the rest so I used bump map on them.Well I'm not that happy with it so if you have any other ideas please tell me.

P.S.I don't care if I have to draw again all of the rocks cause it was quite an easy procedure.Also I think I have to read the gimp manual's entry on bump map.

Name:	Encounter 1-1 Kobold Defenses phase 2.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	28632

After applying Gaussian Blur on the rocks with higher elevation.

Name:	Encounter 1-1 Kobold Defenses phase 3.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	28633

Blog Entries

I think you would find a little shadow around the rocks would set them into elevations. To made that is quite easy. Get a single rock onto a white background then contrast enhance so that it becomes an all black rock on a white background then blur that a little so it fades down. Then put the grey rock back on top. It will be a grey rock with a little dark halo around it for shadow. I believe you can do that on a transparent background instead and then you can use it as a brush. I'm not a Gimpy kinda guy tho

Redrobes I applied your method for shadows on the rocks and the pillars that I wanted to seem as if they were on top and it worked wonderfully.Thanks.

Now back to the map. While I went to save I discovered that I had made a mistake on the size of the map so I had to resize it and move around many of the parts of the map.
    Also, I'm finished with the rubble and I added a background texture.Now my question is this: can somebody tell me a method to randomize it somehow (yesterday I fell on a post of RobA where he was explaining it but I just can't seem to find it again,hm...) cause I don't like the repetitive look it has at the moment.

Name:	Encounter 1-1 Kobold Defeses phase 7.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	920.1 KB 
ID:	28761

Cool beans man, the delve looks fun enough from what I've read in the supplement. Looking to see what you pull off. Seeing as we both started at around the same time and are both using GIMP 2.6 maybe I can throw some ideas off you if you ever have the time.

Edit: Plus I know how crappy those dungeon tile maps look I can see why you would want to do this as a project. haha
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by geamon View Post
    Edit: Plus I know how crappy those dungeon tile maps look I can see why you would want to do this as a project. haha
    Yes, those maps are one of the worst wizards has ever came up with.Putting together dungeon tiles from previous sets that don't even match is lame.
    I'm also quite curious to see what I'm gonna pull off too.lol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast