Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CD3: Living near the Inner City Walls of Bragar

Default CD3: Living near the Inner City Walls of Bragar

So, this will be just a part of a city map. I've tried a few new styles (houses, shape and textures) with CD3. Of course, it is not finished yet and I will change much of it (I think). The symbols used are part of Shessar's Map collection. What do you think so far?
    btw: Bragar is the capital of the Independent Islands in my Re'Skaal continent (I think this will explain the large inner city walls).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LatICWoB01.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	771.6 KB 
ID:	29318  

Looks good to me. I was wondering if you could shadow the Merlins along the top of the castle wall it make it pop a bit more.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks Great nice detail work too!!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Lookin' good so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

@Jax: what do you mean with "Merlins"? The battlements (my dictionary told me that word) or the city towers? Both could be realised with PS, but you can not change selective parts of a bmp in CC3.
    I tried different ground textures today and added a few chimneys, water troughs etc. Another update will follow in a few days.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The Merlins are the lil fireball-throwin dudes hiding behind the battlements so you can't see them
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Wow. That's a great map...I really like the style. The only things that jump out at me are 1) your market could be a little more active, and 2) your L-shaped buildings would look better IMO with "flashing" (or whatever it's called) along the ridge on the exterior bend...I looked around a bit and it looks like all other ridges have them. Have some rep, because this is really pretty!
    M

Edit: Oh, yeah, and trees and bushes...but I assume you just haven't gotten to them yet.

Thanks for all the comments, especially mearrin! You're right the market place was just an experiment and I've expanded it in the actual version. I've also added a few chimneys, trees and bushes. Some parts have a "dirty texture" now and I removed the buildings with the simple grey ridge. I will also add a few barrels and crates next to the houses and a few houses in the inner city wall. The CC3 effects are also just preliminary at the moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LatICWoB03.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	29386  

Yeah. That little extra detail really makes it pop. I like the building with the courtyard near the marketplace.

I don't imagine you're going to change it in this map, given how close to finished you seem to be, but some of the houses are pretty off-square (rhombus-shaped or whatever the correct term is). I think it's maybe a function of you trying to fit them to the streets. If you're having trouble finding them, look at the row just north of the fountain to see what I mean.

Definitely liking the overall feel of the map. Nice colors and tone and great details.
    M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast