Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Map Testing

Post World Map Testing

Following up on Torq's World Map basics thread and the gwTerraNoise Program, I figured I'd give a go to a world map...

It is quite easy to use (once you figure it out) though I can't seem to find a way to save stuff. One of the nicest things is the seeds carry across the various noise generators. Here I combined perlin noise with ridged multi-fractal (both having the same seed, so they follow the same contours) then clipped everything below sea level and applied an exponent to get steep mountain ranges.

Here is the colour-mapped, bump mapped globe rendered in POVRay (with a little cloud, atmosphere and stars to flesh it out)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planet_scene.png 
Views:	591 
Size:	426.8 KB 
ID:	1692  

Really nice! I love the colors. (Did you calculate how high those mountains are, vs. the planet's diameter? They look pretty high!)

Neato! Nice one!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    Really nice! I love the colors. (Did you calculate how high those mountains are, vs. the planet's diameter? They look pretty high!)
    I faked it - they are just a bump map, not really a height field. (I think I overdid it on the bump scaling factor

On that note, however, I remember looking at aerial photo stereo pairs back in university that effectively hyper magnified elevation because of the exaggerated spacing of the photos...(5 minutes of googling later...) Like this one:

-Rob A>

You need shadows under your cloud cover (maybe like this: http://www.arcticcoconut.com/arcticc....supersize.jpg).

I still really like it, though. It has that je ne sais quoi.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I did one in stereo...just for fun...I didn't bother with the atmosphere or stars, but I did get some semblance of cloud cover and my clouds cast shadows...sorta. I also experimented with some water methods...This is actually three spheres...one is the displaced land mass...the other is the water sphere that cuts through, which is 50% transparent...and the other is the cloud layer.

What you wanna do here is look at it, and cross your eyes, so that the images overlap creating a middle image that is combined between the two....look up the effect online if you want more info, or I can explain it better in another thread I guess.

Software used: 3ds Max 2008 (A&D Materials, mental ray renderer), gwTerraNoise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planetstereo.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	1720  
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

That stereo version looked like fun, so a few minutes of tinkering with POV later....(also a cross eye stereogram)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planet_stereo.png 
Views:	381 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	1723

I changes the camera position slightly to get more shadow.

töff - the clouds do cast shadow, but they were a bit too close to the surface to show up. I increased the cloud elevation and opacity a bit this time.

Also- if anyone wants the (very simple) Povray source code for this scene, just let me know. All you have to do is change the bump and image map parameters, and you will get the same scene with your own planet.

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

I think but I'm not 100% sure that your images are crossed...For cross-eyed stereo pairs the images should be RL instead of LR....

To me the globe looks like its sunken in when I cross my eyes...so reversing the two will fix it...Like attached.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robafixed.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	1724

I've done a LOT of experimenting with Stereo Pairs...so much so that I made a program that lets me quickly create the pairs in one image...attaching
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks - That is a lot better! I wondered why I was getting a headache looking at mine that got worse the more I spaced the L&R images apart!

Thanks for the little program, works great!

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

From what I've seen the further away from the stereo pair you are the more dramatic the effect AND the less you have to cross your eyes. If you want to see some of my "experiments" you can see them at:

http://evilarcana.deviantart.com/art...tereo-46506811
    http://evilarcana.deviantart.com/art...tereo-46506589
    http://evilarcana.deviantart.com/art...tereo-46506467
    http://evilarcana.deviantart.com/art...tereo-46506691

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast