Thread: [Withdrawn] September October Challenge: New Vikingland York

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default [Withdrawn] September October Challenge: New Vikingland York

I thought about this for a bit and I'd like to speculate wildly on what NYC may look like if it was instead settled first by the Vikings (who did manage to get to North America). With my Shetland heritage (read: small islands used as a stop-off for Vikings before going to England) I've got a soft-ish spot for the Horn-Wearing Beard-Toting Non-Motor-Cycle-Riding Raiders of the 1100s-1300s.

So I think I will be reshaping NYC as the modernist progression of a Viking Settlement. Woot, time for ambition ++ on the second map. *blinks* 2 months, create a game and reshape a major city around a water-based raiding culture of the 1100s... nope, no Big Hairy Audacious Goals here...
    Last edited by torstan; 11-03-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Note: I'm still thinking of a possible 3rd map hitting on the Occultist/Wizardry Theme. Just trying to push one idea out so I can concentrate on the VikingLand Idea.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

My Lulu Store

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

YEAH... VIKINGS... !!! ... and by my heritage I got a soft spot for them too... actually thought about vikings earlier today, thought about making a map of where they sailed/raided/traded. I'm telling you, if the vikings had bred faster and settled where they sailed to, half the world would be wearing horns *lol*
    I'm looking very much forward to this
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The whole horned helmet thing is pretty much been proven as 'bunk' - but they do look cool! ;D
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    The whole horned helmet thing is pretty much been proven as 'bunk' - but they do look cool! ;D
    shhhhh... we don't talk about that
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Bah! A lack of horned helmets is trivial compared to giant red beards with plaits in them.
    Here's a draft. NYC is now called Heimdalland, after Heimdall the sentry to Asgard.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewVikingLandYork.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	478.7 KB 
ID:	29379
    Last edited by Juggernaut1981; 09-17-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: to insert the WIP tag...

My Lulu Store

Here is the next update. Labels put in, bits and pieces scattered around the map, etc. Not sure how much more "artwork" I will add to it. I'm thinking I should certainly add in some bridges and maybe some subways/tunnels. Everything has been renamed based on proper colonisation by Vikings.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewVikingLandYork.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	555.7 KB 
ID:	29435
    Last edited by torstan; 11-01-2010 at 10:55 AM.

My Lulu Store