Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: September-October Challenge: Favorite Sites of "Nasties" in NY Moviedom

Default September-October Challenge: Favorite Sites of "Nasties" in NY Moviedom

I've been fiddling with this idea for a while now trying to figure out what approach would work best. The Monster Gourmet Guide didn't quite work for me and I wanted an actually useable sort of Tourist guide so placing it in the realms of "reality" rather than fantasy - sort of. It's vaguely interesting as "factual" to see where films were made but it would probably be rather "dry" if that's all it did - so I've scoped it within the framework of how good the locations were in their films as if they were actors and, to some extent, the monsters were the critics.
    I think.

It's kind of evolved that way after I doodled some "quickie" sketches of possible "scenes" for some of the locations and then tried to write up what could be said.
    Attached is the sort of evolutionary sketch so far. The little red circles sketched in show the actual locations in relation to the land outline. Due to the clumping of some of the sites I'll probably have to distort the "land" somewhat too - I may even have to redo the whole thing at a different angle since some places are obscured by others at this angle.
    Anyway, I've decided to post this early version just to let people know where I'm going on this, my second entry, and I really do welcome any and all C & Cs you might have about it. I am aware that there's a bit of a "tangle" between text and drawings sometimes, that all has to be worked out in the layout and when I have finalised the actual text....
    Please forgive the very rough nature of the cartoons at this stage - I'm not all that good at "quick" cartoons - I have to work at them quite a bit to get the desired effects (if at all !!)...
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manh cartoon 03.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	29376

I'm still going to try more work on the 3D entry - I'm just "resting" from that for a bit...
    Last edited by Crayons; 09-17-2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: missed latest wip thing
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Some suggestions:

1. Some of HP Lovecraft's stories dealt with a huge subterranean cavern under Red Hook where cultists and the monsters they worshipped hung out. Don't really know if this'd qualify for you since it's print, not film, but meh, thought I'd throw it in.

2. Q: The Winged Serpent. Awesome early 80s flick about a resurrected Aztec god munching down on NYC.

3. V (the original series). Not sure how you'd show this; maybe just one of the saucer ships?

4. Mimic, from Guillermo Del Toro. Giant humanoid-looking bugs. Good movie.

5. Mulberry Street. Giant mutant rats attack and bite New Yorkers and turn them into giant mutant rats.

6. Friday the Thirteenth VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

this is going to be sooo good - love your doodles
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

@Diamond - Thanks! Yes, I was going to keep away from books and comics and just limit this to films. However the other suggestions are all valid. I already have Q sketched up there, he's the dark winged thing getting evicted from his Chrysler Building attick by the lousy targettiing of the Helicopters trying to hit Godzilla - it's not much of an idea but the Q was apparently too small to actually damage buildings? I'll have to see if I can dredge up some data to confirm that.
    Mimic and Rats are a "can do" I think - in some manner, do you know if there are any "landmark" buildings associated with them?
    Jason eh? That bears investigation! You have to give the guy credit for persistence if not his dress sense!
    Thanks again!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff

Jason Takes Manhattan is a must add.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Crayons View Post
    Mimic and Rats are a "can do" I think - in some manner, do you know if there are any "landmark" buildings associated with them?
    Well, for Mulberry Street, you could somehow accentuate or enlarge the actual Mulberry St. (it's in, or just north of, Chinatown) and have large mutant rats running up and down it.

Mimic was strictly subways, so maybe draw an enlarged subway opening and have one of the bugs looking out from it?
    Last edited by Diamond; 09-18-2010 at 03:26 PM.

My "researches" on "V" seem to indicate that whilst they were a global "phenomenon" I can't find any specific relationship with NY. Most of the plot seems to hinge around LA, so I'll probably leave that one out as too "generic" or too centred elsewhere.
    Jason aparently ends up in Time Square, which is a definite "go-er", as it's a location not represented yet!
    The Mimic bugs will have to be included in some "general" way, and as you say, the Rats of Mulberry can at least be nailed down to a street. I think I have the DVD! The UK version was titled "Zombie Virus on Mulberry Street" -- I have no idea why they deemed it necessary to do that !
    --

My Finished Stuff

Time to get back into this now that I'm resting the Plumton doodle. I have to run off a set of half decent (hopefully) cartoons of the relevant buildings and their, er, protagonists... for use in the map as sketched in the original post.
    Anyway, here's the more completed versions of what I was thinking for:

The Brooklyn Bridge vs Cloverfield

Name:	brooklyn2.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	330.8 KB 
ID:	29807
    and
    The Flatiron Building vs the US Army missing Godzilla.

Name:	flatiron4.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	300.5 KB 
ID:	29808

The very basic questions are : Are they of a suitable quality? and... Are they at all amusing? Any and all C & Cs welcome!
    cheers
    --

My Finished Stuff

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Looks good!

also, wasn't I Am Legend in NYC? though thats more hordes of zombies/vampires/whatever-they-are than one big baddie.

edit: yes, it was manhatten
    Last edited by Rythal; 09-29-2010 at 08:53 PM.

The Godzilla doodle is hilarious!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast