Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The large town of Faesiddex

Map The large town of Faesiddex

Here is a map of the large, medieval port town of Faesiddex (commonly known as "Fish Seide"). I created this using the same technique I used for the town of Koppollex (tutorial located here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1150).

I'm posting two versions: the basic "realist" map and the "posterized" style I use for my GURPS campaign.

Take care!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faesiddex_Fishseide_plain.jpg 
Views:	911 
Size:	322.5 KB 
ID:	1696   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faesiddex_Fishseide_posterized.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	439.6 KB 
ID:	1697  
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Sweet work as always Don! You said that you used the same method as you did for Koppollex, does that include the city generator?
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Quote Originally Posted by Naryt View Post
    ...You said that you used the same method as you did for Koppollex, does that include the city generator?
    Yessir! It was a little more difficult this time because we had been previously describing this town "in game" using another image I found somewhere, so I had to keep generating maps in the city map generator program over and over again until the output fit the already-established geography (namely, the three elevations levels of the town: Upperton, Middleton, and the Bottoms). Even after finding a usable map I had to go back and add/readjust a tad--but I am very happy with the results.

I really, really like using that generator! That was a great find, Naryt! (Rep for you!)
    Don
    My gallery is here

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Yessir! It was a little more difficult this time because we had been previously describing this town "in game" using another image I found somewhere, so I had to keep generating maps in the city map generator program over and over again until the output fit the already-established geography (namely, the three elevations levels of the town: Upperton, Middleton, and the Bottoms). Even after finding a usable map I had to go back and add/readjust a tad--but I am very happy with the results.

I really, really like using that generator! That was a great find, Naryt! (Rep for you!)
    I was wondering how you got such a perfect map out of the generator...makes perfect sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Naryt View Post
    I was wondering how you got such a perfect map out of the generator...makes perfect sense now.
    Okay, by "perfect map" I'm sure you mean "perfectly depicting the place we've described" not "perfectly created map", right?

This map is hardly perfect in the latter sense--in fact, I can see many warts in there. I created it in about 4 hours, which for me is a quick-job (call me Molasses the Gimpy Sloth: slowwwww with a capital "OW!")
    Don
    My gallery is here

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Okay, by "perfect map" I'm sure you mean "perfectly depicting the place we've described" not "perfectly created map", right?

This map is hardly perfect in the latter sense--in fact, I can see many warts in there. I created it in about 4 hours, which for me is a quick-job (call me Molasses the Gimpy Sloth: slowwwww with a capital "OW!")
    Perfect as in fits the genre and depicts the location such that I go "now, where is the crazy priest's hut?" and "is that the Last Cruise Inn?" as I look at it. As for warts, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and none is more critical than that which made the work.

see now this is what i'm talking about. beautiful work. just stunning. i wish i could get the same effects with corel.

oh well....back to the drawing board. maybe in the next few weeks i'll start my towns/cities thread.

again, great work. stunning, in fact.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Very interesting Pyrandon, i think i will try my hand at that type of map. I found your tutorial both excellent and informative...

Old dogs can always learn new tricks

Thank you for your comments, gentlemen. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Here's another version--a "test" version, filtered, desaturated, and hand tweaked--this one with the express purpose of labeling & creating a locations key.

Take care
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faesiddex_Fishseide_labeled.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	330.5 KB 
ID:	1711  
    Don
    My gallery is here

I have to say that I like the originals better than this last one. I like the colors and details on the first two. This one just seems to loose a lot of the "wow" factor.

Now, if this is going to be something like the GM version, and the others are going to be the players, then this will work fine as a map just showing the location keys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast