Thread: Atlas Map

Wip Atlas Map

I have to give a shout out to Ascension for the tutorial that allowed me to create this map. Thanks man.

As to the map itself, there a few things I am not quite happy with, including the size of the lakes – not sure how to reduce in size now that I have gotten this far – and the jagged nature of the rivers. I need to do something to smooth them out so that they look more natural. Anyway, I still have more details to add and will work on these things as I do.

Feedback and suggestions are most welcome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlas Map.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	760.4 KB 
ID:	29432

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that the rivers look fine. Most folks tend to make rivers all swurvey but at this scale they don't really look all curvey. Making them curvey-cool makes them look like they were hand-drawn but jaggy rivers look kind of digital. So the only real fix is practice. The main thing catching my eye is the shelf - it seems to match the coastline too perfectly. What I would do is take a spatter brush and brush some areas that stick out from the coast here and there and generally make that shelf have more variation in shape so that it doesn't follow the coastline so perfectly. Either that or blur it so that it isn't sharp. You could reduce the height of the bevel itself from like 100% to 30% as well. Looks really good, though, with everything else.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the feedback Ascension. I will play around with the shelf and see what I can come up with. As mentioned in my post for the City of Vallanox, this map is a collaborative creation with members of my creative writing forum. Here is an updated map with some of the elements they are producing for the map and writing descriptions for. Anything with a ? is still up for debate at this time. Members of this forum are more than welcome to toss out additions to the map. Of course, I will expect a minimum of a 300 word description for the feature, third person, past tense -

Name:	Atlas Map update.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	808.0 KB 
ID:	29448

An update version of the map. Some additional realms, races, and locations have been added to this version. Temp boundry lines drawn in for the team to review for possible human realms in the world.

Name:	Atlas Map fourth update.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	847.2 KB 
ID:	29598

Another update to the world map. A few additions from the participants added. The group is starting to work on the different realms of men and then it will pretty much be done.

Name:	Atlas Map Ninth update.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	862.6 KB 
ID:	29737

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks Great !! "Land Of The Frost Giants"..hmm I've heard that before..or maybe I've been there before..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

This looks really great. The land masses work nicely together and I like your sea effect.

I find the west side of your mountains a bit shiny especially on the main range. You could try lowering the highlight on your mountain layer and adding a little noise or texture to them the illusion of depth and solidity. Rep from me for your work thus far.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..